INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0

# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA

Activity: Unknown Phase: Other Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SCOTTSDALE, AZ (WP07) Entry date: 02/22/2011

Hi Roger. Wondering about an unlatched door as a possibility? I have flown without doors on a CTLS and the slipstream seems to run a few inches away from the door. If we happen to takeoff with an unlatched door on a CT, will the slipstream catch it and rip it off? Perhaps the C162's door happens to be in the slipstream if slightly opened or there is negative pressure at the door sufficient to pull the door out into the slipstream if it is not latched?

Have you heard any more on this?

If it does happen to you, make sure to keep flying the airplane. You should catch it early in the takeoff roll and can abort the takeoff. If you get airborne you can fly the pattern at no more then 60kts keeping 15 flaps down, make a landing, close the door then go flying again. If your set on closing it in flight at least get to a safe altitude before you get distracted trying to close it.

I have had open doors in other planes at least three times, but not in the CT. I only flew singles and it never was a very big deal. Just land and close the door. I wonder why folks driving twins so often stall them in when the same things happen? WF

I flew twins. Have had doors come open on C-310's and B-58's. Never crashed. It can scare you enough to dirty your shorts in the right circumstances but in those planes it was never a control issue. But, if you were to throw in inexperience, night, turbulence, weather, etc it has been the last straw for some. We would all like to think we could never be so stupid as to (fill in the blank) but until it happens to you, you just don't know.

Archived