Know your Fire Extinguisher

coppercity

Personally as a retired 28 year firefighter and Hazmat Tech/Instructor I think the fire extinguisher in our CT's is inadequate, but meets the code. I tossed my extinguisher and bought one that is twice the size and keep it in the foot storage area where it is far quicker and easier to access. Try to get your out from behind the seat in a panic or if someone is in the seat. Just my personal opinion.

Here is a good place to look around. A 5 B-C would be good. They come in a few different sizes. Some a little fatter some a little taller and skinny. "B" is for flammable liquids and "C" is electrical. They have pop up stems or gauges to show pressure. All extinguishers should be taken out at least every 6 months and tapped up, down and side ways to make sure your powder stays very loose and to check the pressure on the gauge or the pop up stem.

The two biggest problems in all my years in the service was people didn't know how to use them. Get close and spray the base of the flames and the extinguisher was usually too small for the job and/or they just wasted it and ran out. The quicker you get the flames knocked down before it builds too much heat the better for you and easier to cool. These type of extinguishers don't have any cooling ability so flames tend to pop back up from hot wires or metals with the fuel vapors still around. Once you knock down the flames it's always good on an engine fire to get some water on it for the cooling. You don't need a lot just enough to bring down the ignition temps. Never any water for an oil or fuel fire while you still have flames or all you do is spread it all over the place. Never (almost never) use any water on metal fires like magnesium. That metal produces more oxygen with the water and it flares up and gets hotter.

http://www.firstaler...re-extinguisher

I would bet Ace Hardware (a.k.a. Ace Aviation), Home Depot or Lowe's will have just what you need.

Hope this helps.

Archived