need some advice

Mark Alison

Im looking at two CTSW one is a 2008 with 412 hrs and Steam Gauges...  the 2007 CTSW has 750 hrs glass cockpit but they are not Dynon Avionics  they are True Trak   TS  EFIS  ...  can someone tell me pros and cons of both ...also about what would it cost to have the steam gauges changed over to updated glass cockpit.   I haft to make a decision pretty soon.   thank you for any input. 

PS...is there any difference between 2008 model and 2007 ?

Mark, it's hard to give you a cost to upgrade since it really is dependent on what you want to upgrade to.  For example a full Dynon Skyview suite can run you into the 10's of thousands (GPS, dual screens, redundant ADHRs, ADS-B In/Out, Autopilot, etc..)  just for equipment or you can swap steam for a used Dynon D100 about 3K in equipment, then add in the labor.   I'm about to submit an MRA to re-arrange my panel and am considering replacing my D10 for the D100 so I've been doing this homework as well.  Would you mind sharing the pricing difference between the 2 aircraft you are looking at (if you dont want to share the sale price, just share the price difference)?  If it's $5K delta I'd go for the glass cockpit at time of purchase, it you're talking $10K+ price delta then it's time to fine tune some quotes.  I did the same thing and took the steam gauge model (D10a + Steam backups), not only for a much lower cost, but also a fresh overhaul (150 hrs SMOH) on the 912.  The fresh overhaul sold me on the deal, if the comparison was equipment only as yours I would have likely taken the glass instrument unit.

thnx Johnny...2007 CT  is one year newer and has only 410 hrs on engine and high back seats but it has a Steam dash and it is ADSB 2020 compliant and he said he would fly it to me (which is a big plus). I have been on the phone with him several times and he has been more than helpful because I had a lot of questions about the aircraft.   the 2007 has the glass cockpit but they Are Not Dynon Equipment Its TS EFI (Cant Find Who Makes It) I'm Sure Its What They Put in Them during the 2006 Era. But Also I Would Haft to Go Get It and Me Being a New Pilot and Not Being Familiar with the Aircraft As of yet I Don't Want to Try That… Lol and It Would Cost Me about 3000 to Get It ADSB Compliant 2020 but Also I Would Haft to Pay Someone to Fly It to Me and That Will Cost about One, 00 to 1500. One of Them Is from Airtime Aviation.... And I've always been leery of car dealers and I would imagine aircraft brokers are the same way... But I could be wrong... Oh I almost forgot they are both the same price 59... Now the gentleman at airtime aviation told me that they do the annuals and make sure everything is working before they sell their aircraft's .... The 2008 is being sold by an individual and the 2006 is being sold by airtime aviation aircraft broker

I have a 2007 CTSW that I converted from steam gauges to the Dynon setup so I can offer some of my travels through this process. The big things I wanted when I purchased honestly was a working AP, which mine had the TruTrak which works exceptionally better than I expected. It also came with a Garmin 796 mounted to the side of the dash with a GDL39 supplying the ADS-B In info. I processed an MRA through FD for everything I wanted to add and also sent them the CAD drawing of my panel. I had a local sign shop cut a new brushed aluminum panel (like $65) on a water jet CNC machine. I decided to go with the 7" Dynon Skyview classic and Dynon GPS 2020 with their ADS-B transponder. I like that all of it works seemless through the interface and getting rid of the old transponder drop some weight. I also designed the panel to keep the primary steam gauges. I replaced the old 496 in the dash with the 796 that came with the plane with a new AirGizmo. All together I think Im in about 7K give or take, but I have the plane exactly how I want it. I am using the old center panel as a placeholder right now which is why it looks like crap. I have to get a new placard for my new aluminum panel and then I'll install that one after my annual.

One other thing to consider is that if you are looking at a 2007, then its likely you are looking at repacking the chute VERY soon with a new rocket (if the maintenance has been followed). Thats not a cheap maintenance item. Mine is due this year so I know.

IMG_0365.jpg

22 hours ago, DaManMP said:

I have a 2007 CTSW that I converted from steam gauges to the Dynon setup so I can offer some of my travels through this process. The big things I wanted when I purchased honestly was a working AP, which mine had the TruTrak which works exceptionally better than I expected. It also came with a Garmin 796 mounted to the side of the dash with a GDL39 supplying the ADS-B In info. I processed an MRA through FD for everything I wanted to add and also sent them the CAD drawing of my panel. I had a local sign shop cut a new brushed aluminum panel (like $65) on a water jet CNC machine. I decided to go with the 7" Dynon Skyview classic and Dynon GPS 2020 with their ADS-B transponder. I like that all of it works seemless through the interface and getting rid of the old transponder drop some weight. I also designed the panel to keep the primary steam gauges. I replaced the old 496 in the dash with the 796 that came with the plane with a new AirGizmo. All together I think Im in about 7K give or take, but I have the plane exactly how I want it. I am using the old center panel as a placeholder right now which is why it looks like crap. I have to get a new placard for my new aluminum panel and then I'll install that one after my annual.

One other thing to consider is that if you are looking at a 2007, then its likely you are looking at repacking the chute VERY soon with a new rocket (if the maintenance has been followed). Thats not a cheap maintenance item. Mine is due this year so I know.

IMG_0365.jpg

DaMan do you have the CAD file for the left panel?