Skis / flying off snow

GrassStripFlyBoy

Sharing a bit of info around skis, contacted www.datumair.com as they show a CT on skis in their pic section.  Rec'd back a quote indicating ~ 2 week lead time, main skis are $3525, nose is $950, (Canadian $, so US ~ 25% less) plus shipping.  Considering these are wheel penetrating and include actuators, that is some fair pricing compared to what I've seen around Airventure show.  I plan to purchase a pair of these within the next year - can already envision flying out to some local lakes, drilling holes in ice, and hauling in a limit catch of fish.  Not thrilled about drilling holes in airframe, might consider working the front bungee anchor up higher via a bracket at the door opening, avoiding exterior holes - drill through the door frame opening internal to door.  Thoughts? (and I'm E-LSA so have that latitude on my side) Pic's provided from Datum (note the first pic is on wheels, and bottom pic is extended on ski):

image.thumb.png.f1f25cbf289c77926913dcc1f065b5da.png

image.png.d05e0fe06d0272bf410bac29a8f129d0.png

The rear of the skiis have two safety cables. One of the uses the same attach as the bungee. The front ski safety cable seems to have the same attach as the bungee in top photo whereas the bottom photo seems to have the cable running through the bungee attach then off to somewhere forward. If the front bungee attach somehow ripped out of the fuselage then that safety cable would allow the front of the ski to drop far enough that your landing would be interesting.

It has been 20 years since I last flew skiis, or even looked at a ski plane so am no longer sure what the rigging looked like. I could be trying to make something out of nothing. I'm sure you will do thorough research. 

Does the CAA require their equivalent of an STC for this? If so, then these skiis and the installation should be safe and reliable. A whole new world of fun flying, and fishing, could be opened up to you as long as you remember that the CT won't take the same punishment as a cub, C-180, etc.

Keep us posted.  

Landing on clear ice isn’t an issue and if u have the luxury of knowing the snow depth and that there are no drifts to contend with, a few inches of snow is not a problem either. This is a dead backwater On the Mississippi in southern wi. When the snow gets too deep, we plow a runway. It’s as much fun as it looks like. 

• 3 months later...

These remain on my longer term wish list, but lately have been thinking of dedicated skies and swap the wheels out when time comes.  Have you noticed any noteworthy flying characteristics or issues having these installed?  I'm wondering if the nose ski tracks straight in flight or does it require a lot of rudder peddle correction?  Nice looking airplane, appears to be a CT2K?  Welcome to the forum, how long have you owned it?

Yes it is à CT2K with 1000hours on engine. Me n my brother have own it since 2018. 
-nothing major in flying characteristics 2 things...reduced top speed approx 10-15 kts  warp prop. Other thing is not so rapid rudder movements feel like your copilot has its feet on the pedals. No trim or rudder correction only negative is price ... paid eqv $2700 used but in as new condition.we had som engineering before they were fitted to wheelmount. As an mechanical engineer i would have design it diffrently but it seems to work well! Having the wheels rotating down would have made cables easier to install etc...it was scary to drill the holes. Havent tested in deeper softer snow yet but 10inches is coming will post then.

https://www.facebook.com/jonas.ronnholm.3/videos/3059424367401077/

8 inches of fresh fluffy snow...jeeeeesuuuus what a difference in resistance!! but with 15° of flaps and a high nose and boxing it down as soon as airbourne it went well with a fairly short takeoff!!

complete video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8KfIkVigj4

14 hours ago, Skunkworks85 said:

That is really neat, Thanks for the video. Can you post some pictures of the controls device in the cockpit? How are the skis lowered and raised?

1680056142_Skicontrol.JPG.6b6699e7e2ab2e00484e4525f08a995b.JPGski3.JPG.83f09e19556e002a23e227968bc551c5.JPG

i can take a phothonext time a fly! I have a small Oled screen hooked to a small computer  that tells me the position of the toggle switch-ski down(it draws a ski on screen) - middle=do nothing(draws an X) and wheels down-draws a wheel - added outdoor temp as i was at it ... sadly the linear actuator on the ski is really cheap without positioning only end stops then it would be easy to program location of the wheel so you know when its at the end stops. we figured out that it is fairly easy to stick out the corner of the celluar to take a picture through the camera window  if you are alone in cockpit

9 hours ago, jonas rönnholm said:

1680056142_Skicontrol.JPG.6b6699e7e2ab2e00484e4525f08a995b.JPGski3.JPG.83f09e19556e002a23e227968bc551c5.JPG

i can take a phothonext time a fly! I have a small Oled screen hooked to a small computer  that tells me the position of the toggle switch-ski down(it draws a ski on screen) - middle=do nothing(draws an X) and wheels down-draws a wheel - added outdoor temp as i was at it ... sadly the linear actuator on the ski is really cheap without positioning only end stops then it would be easy to program location of the wheel so you know when its at the end stops. we figured out that it is fairly easy to stick out the corner of the celluar to take a picture through the camera window  if you are alone in cockpit

Gotta love arduino's! Nice solution.

1 hour ago, Skunkworks85 said:

Gotta love arduino's! Nice solution.

Yes what would this world be without them 🤗

did another mod with arduino...hooked it up with flap control- Rotary switch 6 position w lever and an onoff button if arduino fails se can rum flaps w original toggle switch, same oled screen with big numbers-12,-6,0,15,30 & 40 degrees flap.

F5186A28-E602-4318-8277-60CE9D988562.thumb.jpeg.17304d5f0a0b6270b6c24d1d932223b9.jpeg

another mod was keyless doors changed to combination cam lock. Never arrive to plane w no keys!

F9B03765-2962-4917-8826-FD1E698DED84.thumb.png.1203df8c7c56295dba2cf8210a3f43c7.png

• 9 months later...

YES...me and my twinbrother Jonas loves it...special feeling when you suddenly can land everywhere...vi have lots of lakes here in northern sweden its just too bad the sun rises 09:25 and sets 13:55pm. god practice also compared to our 2300meters runway with no obstacles.