Slow Flaps Cycling

FlyingMonkey

Some of the rods don't have a way for you to do this though. Ive seen different designs of the actuator ends... some have a small enough opening that the lubricant can get inside to the jackscrew, others don't.

And there's o-rings on the actuator housing where the two pieces slide into one another, so lubricant doesn't easily get in through that either.

There is a plug on the bottom that you could open and dab some grease in, but the main reason for disassembly is to clean the crap off. Plus, you need to wipe a layer on the jack screw.

Do not use excessive grease! Give everything a coating, don't jam it full.

Wheel bearing greases work fine, but I would recommend a lithium rather than a clay grease.

Thank you, 

Just to clarify for my own ignorance,  during disassembly and reassembly is there any reinstallation concerns regarding the position to the actual flaps on the aircraft.  Should they being fixed in place where they can not move so that during reinstall everything is synced/lined up correctly or do the limiters work in such a way that cycling the flap knob would align everything?  

Is it possible that I could accidentally change the position of the flaps vs what the flap indicator is saying?

-6 on the read out but my flap are really at 0, 15, ect.

Flaps at last, or second from last lowermost setting. You want flap weight off of it or parts may shoot out when you open it, but lowest setting can make it difficult to remove the parts. Second settling lets a little weight push the parts out.

IF YOU LOSE ANY PARTS, INCLUDING THE MICROSCOPIC TEFLON SPACERS (they are easy to miss when wiping down, they're barely noticeable and sits between the gear faces and the housing), you will be buying an entirely new actuator!

Corey, are you talking about the very small plastic washers when you say "microscopic teflon spacers"?  If yes, I lost one and replaced it with a washer from McMaster Carr (Chemical Resistant PTFE Plastic Washer for M2.5 Screw, Size 2.7mm ID, 5mm OD, pack of 50, Part # 95630A10).  Works just fine.  

14 hours ago, FredG said:

Corey, are you talking about the very small plastic washers when you say "microscopic teflon spacers"?  If yes, I lost one and replaced it with a washer from McMaster Carr (Chemical Resistant PTFE Plastic Washer for M2.5 Screw, Size 2.7mm ID, 5mm OD, pack of 50, Part # 95630A10).  Works just fine.  

That is up to you. Technically we're not supposed to even be disassembling these actuators.

2 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Just wondering what percentage of CT's are having flap issues.

Not this kind of issue on my side. I followed this topics and I asked the previous owner: in 10 year he never puts grease on the rods... and it's work... (he mades around 700h hours with the machine...)
Only "issue" I have, sometimes during preflight check flaps "shake" before finding the good position but only in ground, never during flight.

40 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

800+ hours on my ‘06 SW, zero issues with mine.  I am diligent about respecting V fe speeds and slow well below each range before extending.

I'm at about 1150hrs, I only started having issues in the last 100hrs or so.

3 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

How difficult and PITA is it to pull the entire flaps movement assembly from the airplane, and disassembling to clean & lube the jack screw (not necessarily disassembling the actuator)?

I'll tear down the actuator if I need to, but trying to avoid it.

Andy, I wrote a long post on this very topic, with a bunch of photos.  It is a PITA to get the actuator out of the CTsw, but it can be done.  Then the actuator needs some disassembly to get to the actual jackscrew.  Scroll up on this thread to find my post.

17 hours ago, FredG said:

Andy, I wrote a long post on this very topic, with a bunch of photos.  It is a PITA to get the actuator out of the CTsw, but it can be done.  Then the actuator needs some disassembly to get to the actual jackscrew.  Scroll up on this thread to find my post.

Thanks Fred!  This thread has gotten long, I must have missed that post...we need a TL,DR for this stuff!  😄