Passed Checkride ; flew the Hudson Exclusion & East River!

Animosity2k

So three weeks back after a re test for (of all things busting airspace) I finally passed my checkride. The night before Christmas Eve I decided to make a last minute decision to fly up to NYC with a friend and overfly the Hudson River from Cleveland Ohio! I posted on a few online groups and most everyone thought it sounded sort of absurd as a new pilot, and more so on less than a 15 hour notice before departing. I hopped onto FAASafety.gov and took my "Hudson River Exclusion" class and printed out my paper certificate and slid it into a nice shiny page protector to make it look more prestigious! I called up Kent Wien and let him know we were coming and he met me and a friend at POU!

Within 25 minutes of meeting up with Kent we were off again and on the way to the Hudson. I must say as someone who just failed a checkride for busting airspace in the easiest area ever I was a little nervous! Turns out it was quite an easy trip to fly from POU. All I had to do was stay under 3,000 ft ( chose 2,500) then dropped down to 900 by the time we hit the Alpine Tower at the top of the Hudson which was my first check point to start calling out on the Hudson CTAF. 

After flying down the Hudson and circling the Lady about 5 times I decided why not try and call up Laguardia and ask for a Bravo clearance into the East River and I'll be damned they approved it and handed me off to JFK for the rest of the East River.

I had the trip of a lifetime! We flew over 8.5 hours in one day, it was quite the work load but I loved it. It was almost as fun as ferrying the CT home from California! I'm not sure if it's because it was Christmas Eve or what but outside of maybe 6-7 helicopters we were the only Fixed Wing flying in the area!

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_4538.JPG

IMG_4548.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4611.JPG

3.png

4.png

6.png

9.png

10.png

IMG_4548.JPG

I agree, that is a great trip.

I went through northbound a couple months ago. Unfortunately, I didn't have the great visibility you had - no point posting my pictures.

I saw one other fixed-wing near the north end and at least a dozen helicopters near the south end. That part was a bit unnerving and they were not maintaining strict radio protocol - jerking around with each other on the radio.

People who want to make this trip probably should get it done before something happens and the opportunity is lost.

Mike Koerner

2 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

Thanks for sharing.  This is a technical airspace.  I would opt to take along a passenger to provide for  a second set of eyes and ears but you handled it well.  Mike's comments about doing this before it's closed is well taken!

I did have a second set of eyes, ears, and hands with me. Do you guys really think they’ll close it?