SL30 'COM FAILURE' ... Serial Connection Issue?

TheFrisco

As a new plane CT owner, I feel a little hesitant but lets try this. Btw this is a repost of what I originally thought was an HS34 problem ... turns out it may not.

So here is the situation, I get a 'COM FAILURE' on my Garmin SL30 but only when connected to the HS34. Saw this post http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82204 which lends me to believe there is a problem with the serial connection from the SL30 to the HS34. To me, taking the HS34 seems like a really bad answer because I loose tons of functionality.

So here are my questions ...

• Anybody else has seen this error on their SL30?
  • Shall I really just try to re-seat the SL30?
  • From which side do you get behind the center panel, take out the EFIS or EMS?

Thanks for your help to these newbie questions,

Robert aka TheFrisco

The easiest would be to try to re-rack both units.  The SL30 should have a very small allen screw that can be screwed out, and that will slide it about 3/4 of an inch out of the rack, and then it can be pulled out.  I am not sure about the HS34.  I once solved an intermittent issue with an SL40 simply by re-racking it.  Probably not the issue, but it is probably the easiest thing to try and only takes a few minutes.

If there is a local avionics shop, see if they can benchtest just the power of the nav/com radio to see if it does the same thing.  They would only have to apply power to via a couple of wires.  Leave it on a few minutes and see if it gives the same error.  That would let you know if it is the SL30, or a wiring or issue with the HS34.  Wish I could be of more help.