Panel Update

GrassStripFlyBoy

I ultimately went with these guys https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/products#material-and-color

For a few hundred bucks i got the panel powder coated, cut out and etched based on a cad file I provided and then finished whatever was left myself ( final cutout to match the old panel + clear matte top coat since it came semi-gloss )

IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_4911.jpeg

Early in the process I bought some anodized material, my laser is low power and would not etch it.  It is possible to cut anodized and keep a clean edge.  Place tape over the surface to protect it, and use a bandsaw with proper metal cutting blade.  Or a router with carbide bits mills it well also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ULMO I'm considering mounting an arm to the side of the mushroom for a iPad like you have done.  My concern was over the strength of the side of the console and that it may crack with the weight hanging on it.  Did you install a backing plate of some kind?  Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Roger   

8 hours ago, Roger1024 said:

ULMO I'm considering mounting an arm to the side of the mushroom for a iPad like you have done.  My concern was over the strength of the side of the console and that it may crack with the weight hanging on it.  Did you install a backing plate of some kind?  Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Roger   

Hello Roger,

I followed Gorilla’s advices and put a thin aluminium plate on the inside (more a 15x15cm plate to distribute the forces like a huge washer) . Thin enough as it can fit with the form of the mushroom. But the mushroom is quite strong and it’s in glass fiber. I don’t think it can crack due to the material.

In reality to minimize the vibration, I cut a rubber plate to fit under the diamond ball and another one to put in between the aluminium plate and the mushroom. It fit perfectly, I have no vibration and to sign of damage. 
Good day.  

Thank you.  I missed Gorilla's post.  I will look for it. 

4 hours ago, Ulmo133 said:

Hello Roger,

I followed Gorilla’s advices and put a thin aluminium plate on the inside (more a 15x15cm plate to distribute the forces like a huge washer) . Thin enough as it can fit with the form of the mushroom. But the mushroom is quite strong and it’s in glass fiber. I don’t think it can crack due to the material.

In reality to minimize the vibration, I cut a rubber plate to fit under the diamond ball and another one to put in between the aluminium plate and the mushroom. It fit perfectly, I have no vibration and to sign of damage. 
Good day.  

Hello.

Do you think it's possible to remove/cut the central part of the mushroom (in red on the picture attached) ?

I would like to install a 10" EFIS but the left part is too small for the MGL Challenger.
I don't think it's useful for rigidity, since the aluminum plates are already there to stiffen the whole. On the other hand, it would still be possible to replace this vertical bar with a bar at the rear of the EFIS.
What do you think?

Thank you for your opinion.

IMG_2435.jpeg.9d56f41a870857343cef12ad2a47852d.jpeg