Tecnam Light Sport down

Patrnflyr

A Tecnam light sport, appearing to be a Bravo, went in today near Austin, TX. Both pilots crawled out with no injuries thank goodness. They were reporting engine problems at the time of the accident

John

Here's an article: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/local/experimental-plane-crashes-in-se-austin-neighborhood-031829011-ktbcw

A Tecnam crashed here in Michigan last year. I believe that it also was a Bravo. The engine quit during takeoff. The pilot wasn't as fortunate and passed away from injuries. No information on this and no information on the crash of a CTLS in Ohio last year in which the engine also quit. I have not seen any information that indicates what is happening to the Rotax engines or what the pilots may be doing to cause these engines to quit.

A Tecnam crashed here in Michigan last year. I believe that it also was a Bravo. The engine quit during takeoff. The pilot wasn't as fortunate and passed away from injuries. No information on this and no information on the crash of a CTLS in Ohio last year in which the engine also quit. I have not seen any information that indicates what is happening to the Rotax engines or what the pilots may be doing to cause these engines to quit.

The Austin Statesman, reported that the pilot(s) decline fuel at their last destination, and ran the aircraft out of fuel.

ROTAX can't do much about that problem.

CT2K, I re-read the report and I dosee that it was reported that the plane ran out of fuel. There are many accidents where pilots have run the CT's out of fuel and this is not uncommon but I would still like to see the official FAA report. The accidents I refer to in Ohio and in Michigan were engine failures and, from the best I can tell, these were not caused by fuel starvation but on these also, I have not seen the FAA final report.

The place they rented from is out of Austin so I assume they started there for a $100 hamburger run to Llano. Llano is not far from Austin, probably 60 miles or so. They would have only burned 3 gallons or so if they flew direct from Austin. I probably wouldn't have purchased fuel if I started full. I believe the Bravo has 2 12 gallon wing tanks. Impossible to say what happened until the NTSB does their investigation.

CT2K, I re-read the report and I dosee that it was reported that the plane ran out of fuel. There are many accidents where pilots have run the CT's out of fuel and this is not uncommon but I would still like to see the official FAA report. The accidents I refer to in Ohio and in Michigan were engine failures and, from the best I can tell, these were not caused by fuel starvation but on these also, I have not seen the FAA final report.

That is what it said at the end of the report, but yes this was a newspaper report, so better wait for the ntsb report.

Archived