Aircraft Shudder

NC Bill

I would guess a out of balance tire, they can shake the gear pretty bad after liftoff. Did it start after a tire change or has it been like that since you got it? Try a soft field takeoff with 15 flaps,that will get you off the ground much slower and see if the shudder is less intense.

Almost certainly a wheel out of balance. Had the same problem on my Sky Arrow.

I'm fairly nearby and have a balancer and weights if you want to try that. FastEddieB@mac.com

Here's an "after" video of the balancing process:

You can see that in my case, the little wheel took a LOT of weight.

Tires out of balance, no question. Yank them off and use some 1/4 oz. stick on weights to balance them. I have learned that no matter what tire or wheel you have on you plane all tires need to be balanced. No if's or ands. I posted on this and how to do this on another thread. It is easy to do. No matter what tire, wheel or tire size the usual weight for balance seems to be 1 - 1.75 oz. for a balance.

p.s.

Do not use any liquid tire sealant or your tires will be so far out of balance it will seem like the plane will shake to death. If you had to use a sealant to get home in an emergency then be ready to hit the brakes right at lift off. When you get home toss those tubes.

If you use a digital tire inflation checker that has a sender that screws on the stem them a balance is really required or your shake quite badly, too.

I had to use a liquid tube seal recently, and on takeoff things were way out of balance. I have done this twice now. In both cases, after a while the tubes just exploded! I am not sure, but maybe the liquid auto tire infators attack the rubber or whatever it is, in these Tiawanese tubes? WF

Archived