Dynon100 7" to SkyView 10"

Jim Meade

Is it possible and feasible to replace a Dynon 100 7" with a SkyView 10"? I had a chance to look at a SkyView 7" and 10" today and my observation confirmed to me comments made fellow pilots that the font on the 7" SkyView is too small for older eyes. I could see them both in an L-39 and for sure, the 7" was too tiny for me.

My understanding is NO.

The "mushroom" (I call it the panel) in the older CTs will accept only the 7".

With the introduction of SKYVIEW and the GARMIN 696 FD changed the "mushroom" so that 10" screens fit the 2011 model CTLS.

I own what I am told is the first 7" SKYVIEW + 696 conversion from D100/D120s.

I've flown both sizes and while I'd prefer the 10"s I would still prefer the 7"s to the D100 by a wide margin.

I'm 67 and were bi-focals. And sure, for some numbers like wind speed/direction or DA or OAT it may require I lean my head forward 3~4"s, but all the data is there and readable. It isn't 12" AVIDYNE R9 or G-2000 but for the money? Wow!

And the SKYVIEW is and will continue to be upgraded. The D100/120 is a dormant format- the unit has reached its memory capacity. No new features will be added. Look at Rev 3.0 for SKYVIEW and things to come with it in the future. The DYNON website has some interesting forum topics.

Your info poses quite a challenge. I'm now flying with a Sandel 3308 and while it is very nice for it's age, it is just too tiny to read comfortably. My experience is one always needs the best picture when things get a little tense.

I appreciate the information.

Hi Jim; The answer is Yes. I have just finished installation on my 2008 CTLS of the Skyview . I went with a 10" for the left and a 7" for the right. With the 10" Had to work it a litle en the left side, but not big deal. I installed the Adhars bellow the instrument panel just before the fire blanket. Made a platform for estabilitation like the one in the ADC-10 for a perfect installation (very important) and had to move the circuit brakers and the prop control to the right side also. Yesterday I finished with the fine tune of the Dynon autopilot. In my opinion much better than the trutrak I had before.

HOpe this can Help

Angel

post-138-047240700 1301647589_thumb.jpg

post-138-012814600 1301647605_thumb.jpg

Angel,

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the instrument panel on the CTLS is different than the CLSW, making the latter unworkable for this upgrade? I'm almost certainly buying in the used market and would want one that was upgradeable, as I expect to keep whatever I buy for a long time. Short of winning the lotto, price is a limiting factor.

Gorgeous photos Angel! I'm jealous.

Can you post some more so I can see all of the panel space.

Did you have to shave part of the top left corner of the SKYVIEW frame to fit?

Did you have to get an LOA from Flight Design? I assume you're plane is registered in Spain.

I spoke with FDUSA today and they said there was no LOA for the US registered market. But that they would apply for one if a customer asked.

As I posted earlier I have 7" screens.

Bill

Anyone see the Garmin G3X building block system having a future in our panels? A little pricey, but its out there for LSA market.

Mark from MN has a Garmin G3X dual screen in his Tecnam P2008. I have about 30 minutes in the airplane right seat and found the avionics nice, but I wasn't paying that much attention, as I was trying to get a feel for the airplane flight characteristics. He is sometimes on this forum and is also on Sport Pilots forum.

Archived