Submerged Wheel Bearings

Steve, you could have the factory "lubed-for-life" sealed bearings or have the Matco tapered bearings that can be lubed. Submerging either type of bearing would probably introduce water into the bearing. The factory pre-lubed bearings would have to be replaced if they were contaminated. The Matco's can be removed, cleaned and re-lubricated. I don't believe that the bearings heat up enough during taxi and take offs and landings to generate heat to drive out water and dry them out. The water could sit inside the bearings (and inside the hub) and corrode things. Also, the flooded condition could have brought dirt and grit into the bearings. I guess I would occasionally get the wheels off the ground and turn them and listen and feel to see if they are going bad and would remove and repack them if Matco's and replace if they are sealed if they sound or feel suspect. It really isn't too bad of a job to service the bearings if this needs to be done. If you are close to your annual, the bearings need to be inspected anyhow. Maybe you could do this now and it would be one less item to do for the annual?

I would yank the wheels and clean everything and apply new grease to the bearings if you have Matco's. If you don't have Matco's I would still pull the wheels and apply a thin film of synthetic grease to the axles and check the bearings for moisture. I would pull the wheels and have a look no matter what.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a little late with my response but I would do as Roger recommended but follow up with an inspection in about 60 days. That is, unless you absolutley know the water was clean. Flood water can have some nasty stuff in it besides just silt. And silt can get into everything. This is from personal experience.

Archived