Should we follow everything on the Maintenance Schedule?

gogogo888

On 10/23/2020 at 3:30 PM, gogogo888 said:

We all want our $19k engine to go much longer. We all want to feel good about it, I agree, doing the minimum is just minimum.

Rotax says to change rubber at 5 years, why not change them out at 2.5 years? Rotax says to inspect carbs every 200 hours, why not inspect them every 100 hours?

While the cowling is open, why not also inspect the gears every 500 hour and do an annual inspection every 6 months?

"You can pay now or pay later" :)

P.S. I'm just trolling because weather has been bad and I cannot fly, nothing personal :)

Meh, I don't take any of this personally; I don't have any "dog in the hunt" of how others do maintenance.  It's just a conversation.

I will answer your question above though:  We don't shorten those intervals because they are already very conservative, and they are relatively high cost/high effort items.  Oil & plugs are cheap, as stated, and are "low hanging fruit" for items that can potentially increase engine longevity.  Also, none of the items you listed are likely to reduce engine wear with shorter intervals.  They might prevent engine *stoppages*, but won't make the engine run well for longer.  Cleaner oil will, IMO.