CTLS Stabilator Hinge Tape Peeling

John Vance

A corner of the tape covering the “hinge” area of the stabilator trim tab on my 2010 CTLS has peeled away.  It’s fairly small, only about an inch of the forward corner on the starboard end, and I’d like to stick it back in place so that it doesn’t progress.  I’ve emailed Arian at FD about this, but since we’re going into Christmas week, the answer may be slow to materialize. Does anyone have experience with this repair?  What adhesive should be used?

The CTLS has the hinge bonded in the structure. It is made from Kevlar, and it is painted over. Some had a strip of 1.5" Bowlus tape placed over the flex joint. In my opinion this helps prevent the paint from cracking. It still cracks, but not as much. So if you are talking about the thin plastic tape over the flex joint it is Bowlus tape. Just carefully peel it off, clean any residue, and install new tape. It you don't have the thin tape the paint is cracking and peeling from the hinge. That will be something for a shop to repair, unless you are into painting things like airplanes.

I use 1" Bolus tape for everything including the trim tab gap. Clean the surface with some Goof Off. The apply 1" tape with the stab all the way in the down position so when the stab flexs it will not crack the tape. If you tape the bottom then apply the tape with the stab all the way up. These positions keep the tape from being stressed and cracking during use. Do no stretch the tape or it will crack later. Just pull it out and lay it down. If your CTSW has hinges then I pull the tape over the bottom half of the lower rivet. This leaves the top half of the lower rivet exposed. Apply the tape all the way across until you are about 1" sort of the end. Now get a razor blade and cut the excess tape that covers the bottom half of the rivet off. Just follow the rivet conture. Now press the tape down well over the stab. If done this way it will last for years.

• 3 months later...
On 12/20/2020 at 5:42 PM, Tom Baker said:

The CTLS has the hinge bonded in the structure. It is made from Kevlar, and it is painted over. Some had a strip of 1.5" Bowlus tape placed over the flex joint. In my opinion this helps prevent the paint from cracking. It still cracks, but not as much. So if you are talking about the thin plastic tape over the flex joint it is Bowlus tape. Just carefully peel it off, clean any residue, and install new tape. It you don't have the thin tape the paint is cracking and peeling from the hinge. That will be something for a shop to repair, unless you are into painting things like airplanes.

What is safe to clean old-dry-yellowed Bowlus tape glue from wing root gap area and MLG fairing joints? How about technique for removing old tape?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 6:02 AM, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Hair drier / heat gun to warm the tape.  Goof Off to clean up residue.

Is Goo off the same as goo gone?  Anything stronger, the glue is yellowed and hardened! How about lighter fluid ?

I know that yellow stuff is hard to get off. That yellow hard stuff will come off with Goof Off. Just soak it a bit and use a wetter rag. It will come off you just have to work at it a little longer vs the Bolus tape residue that wipes off.

IF you decide to scrape it off some just be careful not to take the paint with it. Be very careful if you do this.