Regulator/Alternator whine in intercom.

okent

20201229_142457.thumb.jpg.db05d412921e82fffc4a19d1eb745acd.jpg20201229_142505.thumb.jpg.b9683eed52d78e9b3886b83869e84ea0.jpgI read the thread years back where Andy was trying to track down whine in intercom.  I have a new to me 2013 CTLSi with the sane problem..  pitch increases with increased load like lights/beacon so sounds like regulator.

Reseated intercom, checked grounds and no change.  Ive ordered the 100kuf capacitor but can't find one to replace on my engine.  Checked with Andy and he never found one to replace either and his is still sitting on his desk.  Pics of my place look like his with no identifiable capacitor to swap.  

Should it be spliced inline, if so where?

Thanks Oliver and Happy New Year!

I had read that article and it sounds like I've got regulator induced noise.  The article doesn't explain how this is corrected, only talks about alternator noise(it's possible I just don't understand what they're saying in the article)

I had just checked the battery terminals, and I'm running a LiFe battery.  Looks like that capacitor I've ordered will be an identical paperweight like Andy's.  The noise is very slight with the intercom off but loud with intercom on.  It is present as soon as I push in the battery breaker and the monitor boots up.  Changes pitch with the change in load.

I talked to the guys at Airtime Aviation just briefly but they didn't have much to offer.

Any insight is appreciated.

So you have noise with just the master on and the one display up before you start the engine? Try master on, but shut off the display with the circuit breaker. Does the sound go away? If so I would look at the grounding for the display. Also maybe a call to Dynon would be in order. If it doesn't go away, then it is an issue with aircraft power. Maybe a bad master switch? It could also be any equipment that powers up with the master switch, like fuel pumps or engine electronics.

Tom, for normal startup I push in the battery breaker and as the dynon powers up the noise starts.  If I power it down, no whine.  As loads are added the whine changes.  This is with the engine off.

I havent pulled the breaker but will try it.  Thanks

• 6 months later...

Sorry I didn't update.  No luck.  Still have the whine.  

With the plane in annual, I had the wiring opened up to ensure there weren't any wires that were unshielded or bad connections.  After 1 week of this the problem still exists. 

Grounds are all good and no connection issues.

No idea what's going on.

Just seen this post. I see you are using a LiFe battery. These LiFe batteries typically have a built in BMS (Battery Management System) that may be defective and causing issues with other electronic components. To isolate this problem disconnect LiFe battery. Now connect to regular lead battery using cables. If problem goes away, then issue is with LiFe battery. Doesn’t hurt to try considering most other efforts have been tried.

Okent,

Do you have a GTR225 for Comm?

or anyone dealing with noise in your headphones like a whine or strobes firing etc. If you have a 225, then it has an internal IC you can switch on and bypass/turn off your PS 3000 IC. In my case the strobe and other noises are  not present just sitting in the hanger. I don’t know about if this is the case with engine running with both lanes operating, BUT, grabbing at straws it’s worth trying.  Doug

Doug, you just may be my new best friend!  I do have the GTR225 and just got back from a flight.  I'll try that sometime later this morning.

Do you know if the IC switch allows the 225 to act just like the PS 3000?  Specifically, does the GTR225 allow me to talk with my passenger and listen to XM radio?

Fingers crossed!

XM probably, I blue-toothed iPhone music through the 3.5 aux audio connector w/panel aux audio switch on. Again haven’t flown it yet, rain today, I left the 3000 on today in the hangar and they both seem work at the same time, maybe that weird tandem configuration causes noise filtering, HOPEFULLY! But the 225 works all by itself as well. Feels bad to turn off the 3000 and look at a dead device…..Have fun!

Simple set up thru Function button, Knob down to IC, knob over to turn on etc…Let me know if we are still bests friends …….. 

I flew this morning but don't think the intercom is hooked up to the passenger side or xm.  I'll get verify this week and hook it all up to the 225.  

Played with the settings on the 225.  It's a couple of button pushes to get to the menu items but everything I need is there.

I'll post back when I give it a test run.

Thanks Doug

Flew today - 225 alone with 60 squelch, for engine noise, is without whine and other noises. But, no aux audio, that goes thru the PS3000. So, for happy ears just flying go with 225 IC and without pushing the 3000 on. For music, then push on PS3000 on top of the always on 225 IC, and because there’s constant music activity, you don’t hear the other noises. Then, push-off the 3000 for no music and the 225 will be the IC.