Polishing Plexi

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

14 years of service have left the plexiglass on my airplane a bit scratched up. I have some high-quality 210 plexiglass polish, but I'm a bit afraid of trying to polish large areas for fear of making them worse.  Does anybody have any advice or instructions for the best method to polish and remove fins scratches from the windows and windshield on our airplanes?

Thanks!

Hi Andy,

I have been using 210 for decades on motorcycles and planes. When I sold my plane my windshield looked new. I use the spray for day to day type cleaning and it's a polish too. Then I use 210 scratch remover which is the heavier cream based cleaner and polish. Don't be afraid to use it. It will help remove the deeper scratches.You can use a small electric buffer too. After you finish with the deep scratch remover then clean with the spray.

46 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Hi Andy,

I have been using 210 for decades on motorcycles and planes. When I sold my plane my windshield looked new. I use the spray for day to day type cleaning and it's a polish too. Then I use 210 scratch remover which is the heavier cream based cleaner and polish. Don't be afraid to use it. It will help remove the deeper scratches.You can use a small electric buffer too. After you finish with the deep scratch remover then clean with the spray.

Thanks Roger.  I have the scratch remover (cream polish).  I know when wiping plexi the normal guidance is to go in a single direction and not a swirling motion.  It sounds like for the polish you use a swirling motion, especially if you are using a buffer.

I applied the polish over the weekend, and as an experiment I used circular motions, under the theory that removing scratches in multiple directions is best addressed using that motion.  So far the results are excellent, even a few deep scratches I assumed would not come out at all became significantly less visible.  If I find later that there are swirls in bright light, I will re-polish using linear motions, but it was pretty sunny and I saw nothing like that so I don't think it will be required.  The 210 polish is definitely a great product for this, I will start doing this every 6-12 months.