Prop and engine rpm

Roger Lee

Hi All,

Anyone out there still have there prop set to achieve only 5200 rpm WOT? If so talk to anyone here on the forum and find out about all your disadvantages and all the advantages of setting the prop up so the engine can achieve 5500 rpm WOT.

I think I'm going to pitch mine back about 1/4 degree now. we've gone over and can see 5600rpm in level cruise and our overall speed is down a little bit. It climbs like a banshee, but I'd like a compromise. Roger, remember a Page last year when I was pulling up the rear in climbout and then overtaking everybody after we leveled off? We were running about 4500 rpm on takeoff at WOT which was ridiculous. We took out 3.25 degrees. I think if we go back about a 0.25 degree more pitch, it'll be just perfect. That way, I'll still have a great climb, plus a little bit of speed added.

John

Hey Roger,

My 2008 CTLS rpm's have always seemed a bit low to me. I get about 4800rpm on climbout (68knt-15flaps) and 5400rpm WOT at 3000ft. Cruises nice at 117-120knts at 5000-5100rpm.

I was going to ask my A&P to adjust the prop to give a little better climb. What would you think about .75-1.0 degree flatter as a start?

New forum site looks great!

Thanks... Bruce

• 1 month later...

I think the red two blade Neuform is a little louder and a little more vibration than a three blade. I just had a little race with a CT 2 blade Neuform against my Warp Drive 3 blade. The rpm's were both at 5050 and we stayed neck and neck. It is the same when the 3 blade Neuform is used too.For us fixed pitch ground adjustable guys it's all about rpm and the balance of a cruise verses climb prop pitch setting. So 5000 - 5600 is a good place to be for a WOT setting.

If you're really wanting more performance from a fixed pitch prop you might try the DUC Swirl. Cool design that is supposed to have constant speed characteristics:

The blades of the Swirl propeller are designed to adjust the effective angle of attack under differing aerodynamic loads to optimize performance while maintaining engine RPM in the optimal torque range. This is done without movement or twisting of the blades. As a result, the DUC Swirl propeller has a constant speed effect, even though the pitch is set on the ground.

They guarantee higher performance or your can return the prop for a full refund. You'd need an LOA to put one on a CT.

I think the red two blade Neuform is a little louder and a little more vibration than a three blade. I just had a little race with a CT 2 blade Neuform against my Warp Drive 3 blade. The rpm's were both at 5050 and we stayed neck and neck. It is the same when the 3 blade Neuform is used too.

Your 'thinking' is good Roger, I had the 2 blade NF and now the 3 blades NF. Yep..the 3 B is smoother & quieter. Also had 2 other ones between and results were similar. The best prop is the one thats gives you good performance AND if ''something happen'' you can get a fast repair/exchange....at a fair price. Which is often NOT the case with European propellers . So, for the 'american market' Warp Drive might be the best prop to have.

My self, I'm planning to have my red 2 blade NF converted to INFLIGHT adj ....for an 'experimental' application.

I can flip my flaps to manual and get enough extra reflex to pick up 2-3 knots.

I use mine in manual mode... a lot, as my presets are sporadic (blinking)dry.gif. In manual mode *MY* flaps don't seem to go any more minus than in the pre-set position for -6.

Tim

• 4 months later...

If you're really wanting more performance from a fixed pitch prop you might try the DUC Swirl. Cool design that is supposed to have constant speed characteristics:

The blades of the Swirl propeller are designed to adjust the effective angle of attack under differing aerodynamic loads to optimize performance while maintaining engine RPM in the optimal torque range. This is done without movement or twisting of the blades. As a result, the DUC Swirl propeller has a constant speed effect, even though the pitch is set on the ground.

They guarantee higher performance or your can return the prop for a full refund. You'd need an LOA to put one on a CT.

The DUC propellers are known for being of sub standard quality, not performing and the company not backing up the product and usually not even answering to customers. I found a lot of bad comments of customers from all over the world about it, a short internet search will do. For example:DUC Props on internet

A lot of comments on many other forums as well.

The blades of the Swirl propeller are designed to adjust the effective angle of attack under differing aerodynamic loads to optimize performance while maintaining engine RPM in the optimal torque range. This is done without movement or twisting of the blades. As a result, the DUC Swirl propeller has a constant speed effect, even though the pitch is set on the ground. [/i][/size][/font][/i][/size][/font]

OK, this is definitively marketing BS. Is there anyone here who can explain how that would work exactly? The only comment I found is from an unfortunate buyer who says that the blades are actually stalling and it generates huge vibrations.

[/indent][/i][/size][/font]They guarantee higher performance or your can return the prop for a full refund. You'd need an LOA to put one on a CT.

I contacted the DUC company, and they said NO there is no such thing as a 30 day money back guarantee as stated on the sportair website. DUC sent me a copy of their terms of trade, the guarantee is 6 months only, that's black on white on their terms of trade!

Hi Neo888,

I don't have direct knowledge of the performance differences on the DUC or Woodcomp. I know the US distributor pretty well and I'm comfortable that he would honor the guarantee for his customers. Can't say what DUC themselves or other country distributors would do.

I only have anecdotal reports on performance which is why I asked if anyone had first-hand knowledge of either prop.

I know the US distributor pretty well and I'm comfortable that he would honor the guarantee for his customers.

I met Bill Canino at Oshkosh and I'm sure he'll do anything he can to have satisfied customers. Unfortunately a guarantee is only as good as the supplier, and after what I found about DUC props, I'm afraid Bill doesn't know the DUC company very well, he may be left with this 30 Day guarantee falling at his feet and without any support whatsoever from the DUC company. I have first-hand knowledge of the DUC props and I wish I never came across this company. There are so many prop manufacturers out there, my advise would be to stay "local", as the performance are going to be all pretty much equal anyway, or to go for the one that have the best terms of trade. Based on my previous experience, I would go for Warp Drive as their terms of trade are simple: "We offer a Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee on every Warp Drive propeller. If for any reason, you aren't satisfied with your purchase then we don't want you to own our products. We want happy customers and if you aren't one, we will make it right." Or I would go for Sensenich as they manufacture certified props for a long time so they know how to make a reliable prop.

Archived