nose tire

KENNY MCATEE

2 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

I've heard someone tried this as well, but I'm not a fan of the tread pattern.  Technically its a tailwheel tire, probably would wear fantastic, but in the reviews you'll see someone saying it is too hard (8-ply).  

400 X 4 AERO CLASSIC TAILWHEEL TIRE | Aircraft Spruce

They do use those.

The tire on the front of my CT was probably 10 years old, I could have ran it another year but was prepping some items anticipating the SnF journey.  I measure the cost of things in terms of big picture, and am happy to spend the money to buy what I like / want.  The savings comes from being able to perform the work myself, price of the parts is rarely a thought.  Could have save a couple bucks on the carb bowl gaskets recently too, but nope - I'll stick with Rotax there.  I love deals and I love eBay, take my nice cam lock set belts I upgraded for $55 on the pair.  Not saying I always spend top dollar and buy the best, am saying when it comes to tires there are factors, reasons, and differences.  The tube situation has very strong correlation with users having (or not having) flat tires, Dresser tubes or roll the dice - pretty clear to me, and I learned that having a 1 year old tube blow.  (Was installed at pre-buy when I bought the plane - not my selection).  Tires are a decision, tubes not so much.

1 hour ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

The tire on the front of my CT was probably 10 years old, I could have ran it another year but was prepping some items anticipating the SnF journey.

The nose tires on CTs seem to last forever, they don't get much wear.  I replaced mine for the first time a year or so ago, I think it might have been the original tire from the factory.  I know it was on my airplane when I got it in 2013 and the airplane had 113hrs on it then.

I'm not sure I'd trust an eBay tire, unless it was from the eBay storefront of a reputable company.

48 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Andy - was that tire Kenda brand (out in hanger - I think that is what mine was).  I suspected it was original too, but didn't feel up to paging through the logs, point is the same, these nose tires run a long time.  I tried to hunt that tire down and looks to no longer manufactured.

Hmm...not sure, I'll have to look if I still have the old tire.  I replaced it with an Aeroclassic and they looked pretty much the same.