Aera 760 users. What are your complaints

Ed Cesnalis

I'm learning to fly and operate my D100 AP with my Garmin Aera 760 as my only GPS source.  It works great but I don't see a mature interface and some things are awkward.

• Can't get to airport info for destination with approach plate loaded
  • No Split screens
  • No Widgets
  • No vertical profile view with cloud layers
  • No distance rings available for map

Anyone else?  Any workarounds or suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I fly with my iPad running Garmin Pilot since, as you guys mentioned, it offers better experience and functionality , but I still keep my Aera 796 as a backup GPS and also to drive my autopilot - I know of no way of doing so from a tablet.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:22 AM, okent said:

Corey, does Dynon have an IFR GPS navigator?

Yes, but it's complicated.

The skyview units do have moving map displays, navigation, and acceptable GPS sources, all of which meets the requirements, but it is important that the aircraft flight manual have the correct supplements for operation and compliance statements with the appropriate technical standard orders in order to truly be compliant; that last part is a requirement for the ACS and navigation under IFR flight plans with GPS navigation (IMC or not is irrelevant).

Advisory Circular AC20-138 is a big help. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 20-138B.pdf. The GPS standards are TSO-C129, TSO-C145, TSO-C146, and TSO-C196, using their most recent revisions. Compliance is required for at least *one* of them to be allowed for IFR navigation.

Sorry that it's not a simple answer, but yes skyviews can be used once all the checkboxes are ticked. Just make sure you tell dynon what your intention is if you're going to do an upgrade, they will help you get the correct modules.

8 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Do you know how to go about it?

I have done it with my 660. You have to have Garmin pilot app. It is straight forward.  The  silly part about it is that the area can only be connected to 1 Bluetooth at a time, so if you are connected to a gdl52 or the like, you have to disconnect.  

I'm now shopping for a kneeboard.  I like my upgrade path as it was affordable and the AP works great and the ADSb benefits are there.

I'm ready to run Garmin Pilot from a kneeboard for the better vertical profile view where I see my flight plan intersecting cloud layers and a few other things like split screen widgets etc.

I'm over the ram mounts.

• 2 months later...

I know I am a little late to the party but....

I have an Aera 760 hardwired into my CTSW and a GDL51, and it is connected to my Dynon and my TruTrak autopilot.

ABSOLUTLEY love it. I flight plan on my iphone/ipad and push the flight plan via bluetooth it to my garmin. Then after takeoff on a long XC, I activate the autopilot. Works really well.

I strictly use it for that said above, ADSB-IN (seems to work better than my SkyFyx) weather information, airport information, and more importantly airspace information since I fly in Class B and Class D airspace often. I still haven't used it to it's full potential. 

I also connect my headset via bluetooth to the aera and it pipes in traffic and terrain alerts too. One day I'll hardwire it into the radio/intercom system. 

Best of all - It DOES NOT overheat in the summer like my ipad does! 

• 1 year later...