Aileron Noise

Isham

There is a plastic plug in the flap cove. Remove that plug and look in there for the rollers that support the aileron push pull tube. I think it sounds like they need lubed. This is one of those areas that many don't know to look at, and lubing is even harder. I have started lubing these every two years when I do the two year wing inspection. It is easier to get to if the flaps can hang straight down. If you mess up the plug, just use Bowlus tape over the hole.

11 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

There is a plastic plug in the flap cove. Remove that plug and look in there for the rollers that support the aileron push pull tube. I think it sounds like they need lubed. This is one of those areas that many don't know to look at, and lubing is even harder. I have started lubing these every two years when I do the two year wing inspection. It is easier to get to if the flaps can hang straight down. If you mess up the plug, just use Bowlus tape over the hole.

FYI, FDUSA was the plugs in stock for a few bucks a piece. 

I use Inox with a really long straw, like this. https://www.amazon.com/ShopStraw-FS250-FlexStraw-Aerosol-Replacement/dp/B01ARBC8JW/ref=asc_df_B01ARBC8JW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193168541182&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12591327927854246746&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022696&hvtargid=pla-306272651725&psc=1 I have the straw attached to a wire to be able to aim the lube. I also have a 3 AA cell LED mag light that I use when doing this. I loosen the end cap and wrap a string around it, and tighten the cap back up. I place the flashlight in the wing with the string hanging out for removal.

One other thought would be to put a little Inox on the aileron bearings. It certainly won't hurt anything.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Tom, are those the same rollers you can see through the underwing inspection port, or a different set?  Probably something I should check.  I have tried getting those plugs out and they are a b*tch to remove.  I stopped trying because I didn't want to ruin the plug.

You can see them from the inspection cover with a mirror if you look down the aileron push tube, but you can't get to them from there. They are located forward of the center flap hinge. As for removal of the plug, I use a 1/2" wide Exacto scrapper blade (#18 blade) to get it started out, then a thin blade 2" putty knife. The older airplanes are getting kind of brittle, and the edges will sometimes break. If you take your time it help with removal and no damage.

• 6 months later...

I have pretty much concluded that the noise  is coming from the aileron rod end C9997006A.  The maintenance manual is a little confusing to me.  Can this be replaced without removing the complete rod at both ends?  It looks like it would be pretty simple just to replace the rod end.  Also, do I need a new bolt C9996219?

If you are specifically talking about the ball joint than connects to the aileron, then you might be able to replace without removing the rod. You should be able to reuse the screw. If you have clearance to remove the screw, then the aileron can hang down for clearance to change the rod end. The issue I see is that you may not be able to fully remove the screw due to clearance issues. If clearance winds up being an issue the easiest way would be to pull the wing. Then the flap can hang down giving the clearance needed.

If you have it available, then I would use Aeroshell Grease 33, but since you will use such a small amount, then any good preferably synthetic bearing grease should work. If you cannot get any grease into the bearing, you could try spraying some INOX on the ball swivel near the casing to see if that helps. You may even have to remove the bolt so you can get some movement on the ball.