100 hour inspection

Towner

It seems this issue has been brought up several times, but there are various and confusing responses. 

My annual "condition" inspection is due in November. I will hit 100 hours since the last inspection at the end of this month.

I understand doing the listed annual and 100 hour inspection at the same time, since they are similar and only add a few items from one to the other.

My question is, do I need to do an inspection upon reaching 100 hours this month, or can I wait until November for an annual condition inspection? 

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I still wasn't able to find a clear answer when reviewing the prior posts.

The answer should be in your airplane, in the operating limitations that go with your airworthiness certificate.

If you are operating the airplane commercially for instruction and rental, then yes you need to do the 100HR inspection. If you are not using it commercially then, no it does not have to be done. You should still do the 100HR maintenance on your engine, especially the oil and filter change.

I do the oil, filter and plugs every 50 hours on mogas. I guess my question should have been, "Is the 100 hour rotax inspection mandatory at the 100 hour mark or can it wait until the annual condition inspection is due in November? " I do understand that rotax gives 10 hours of leeway.

It seems some of the prior blogs were stating the 100 hour rotax inspection is not mandatory at 100 hours.

And of course, there are a few asterisks too.

For an S-LSA, if there is an applicable safety directive, then compliance with it is also required.

The manufacturer will mail you a letter as required by the FAA. Airworthiness directives for standard airworthiness aircraft are also mailed to the address on the registration.

Thanks guys. This was the clear answer I was looking for! 

Just FYI, I'm not trying to skip on maintenance. I just have a really long cross country trip coming up that will put me at about 120 hours since the last inspection and didn't know if I could get the work done b4 the trip.

Thanks again! 

2 hours ago, Anticept said:

And of course, there are a few asterisks too.

For an S-LSA, if there is an applicable safety directive, then compliance with it is also required.

The manufacturer will mail you a letter as required by the FAA. Airworthiness directives for standard airworthiness aircraft are also mailed to the address on the registration.

The FAA no longer mails out airworthiness directives. I have a Piper Warrior, that has had a few new AD's in the past couple years, and no letters. I think you can register online and have new AD's sent by email for the aircraft that you add to your list.

Hmm, wonder if that requirement changed for manufacturers too. I haven't seen any letters for safety directives at all in the past 8 years, and I notified flight design of my new address (and received mail from them).

Yes, there is an online service for receiving ADs by type, or just entire categories.