Fuel Filter

Ken

Hi Folks:

My fuel pressure is not reading correctly I assume the sensor needs to be replaced. I also, figured I would replace the fuel filter but it seems like it is difficult to get to. I assume that is why I do not see an engine log entry that it has ever been replaced since new (2006).  I removed the left panel and I think I could see it but man what a pain it will be to get to. Anybody have a good short cut to get to it? It is tempting to make a cutout in the side panel near where the heat comes out. Any thoughts on that idea and what filter is used in the CTSW 2006?

Also, the fuel pressure sensor is a brand called UMA. Made in Dayton, VA  with a serial # of what looks like 1749 but it is hard to read. Does anyone know anymore about this sensor?  It is mounted on the left side (opposite the battery side) of the aircraft on the firewall about as far up as you could mount it. There was a fair amount of black gunk in the sensor which I thought once removed  might be the cure but no joy. Perhaps, I need to let it soak in some type of cleaner.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

How do you add pictures to a post? 

Best,

Ken

IMG_20210723_150505.jpg

IMG_20210723_150519.jpg

IMG_20210723_152720.jpg

Is your fuel filter plastic or metal? There was a safety directive to change it to the metal filter back around 2008. The metal filter is cleanable, but you have to remove it for cleaning. If it is just past the fuel valve, then yes it is a pain. When I am doing maintenance I move the filter to above the fuel valve for easier maintenance, but you have to clamp the fuel lines to shut off the fuel.

Someone must have replaced the original fuel pressure sender because FD never used those back then. If it was working then I guess you could just get another one, but if your plane is an SLSA still then it isn't supposed to be there. The VDO 360-043 was the original one and most of us still have them.

The fuel sender where FD put it downstream of the fuel shut off is a PITA to get to, but it isn't super terrible. When I do a hose change I relocate them upstream of the shut off right behind the panel to make it easy to inspect. If it's too hard to get to people won't check them. You can leave it there or while you're doing this relocate it.

If you have any questions on how to do these things give me a call.