Bing carb help (long...)

FastEddieB

Hi Dave,

That's the one. CarbMate TS-111

Thanks again Roger.

A CarbMate is going to be my June "extravagance" - the AppleTV will get put off a month.

And that fancy camera of yours (and the object of tool lust) is still in my "wish list".

On that note, the latest AOPA Pilot magazine has a section on using used medical equipment for that sort of thing (if you can get past where a used endoscope may have been!)

Only issue is the slightly elevated idle, which I still need to investigate.

Good news and bad news.

Good news: I warmed up the plane with two quick trips around the pattern and pulled off the cowling and the high-idle issue was immediately apparent:

5774103556_977d38bcdd_z.jpg

The cable end of the "choke" cable was not bent at the right angle and hung up on the fire sleeve, keeping the choke on slightly on one side, and fraying it badly.

I rewound the strands as best I could and slopped some RTV on the cable end to keep it from fraying any more. You can see from prior photos that I had little crimp-on cable ends to avoid fraying, but the one that was on that cable had come off when I had the carb top off.

Bad news: I really need to do a better job with post-maintenance inspection. I should have caught that easily.

Live and learn...

Archived