Back in the saddle again

kinoons

Yesterday was my first hop since the crash in N378CT. Unfortunately it was in a Remos GX instead of a flight design. 

my landing streak is now up to two. No anxiety or apprehension during the flight. I had a good time and it was fun to be in the sky again. 

I will say that while the Remos works, I certianly could have learned to fly in the Remos, I really enjoyed flying in the CTSW more than the Remos. 

Certianly take my observations with the consideration that I’m a 30+ hour pilot who’s been flying for roughly a year now. 

my issues with the Remos:

only elevator trim, no rudder or aileron trim  

no baggage area aside from small shelf above and behind the heads of the pilots

knob style throttle vs the lever style in the CTSW

Fuel is more difficult to fill as you don’t get a good signal as it fills. 

smaller windows and front windscreen give me a smaller field of view (I’m 6 foot tall). In particular the door windows are shorter requiring me to duck to try and see out. 

I dislike the placement of the headset plugs behind the seats at head level. No good routing for the headset cables. 

it feels as if the aircraft has more drag. It slows more quickly when removing power. Doesn’t accelerate as briskly as the CTSW. (Keep in mind this is also my first flight in a very high density altitude setting as all my flights to date were in late fall, winter, and early spring. Density altitude at the time was greater than 9000 feet). 

cockpit is smaller overall. 

So overall the CTSW in specific, and the other FD airframes feel more well thought out in their execution. 

Good to hear you're back at it.  That past incident was unfortunate being so early on, clearly flying is one with risk - but I still view aviation in these light birds a very low risk game just as boating in the great lakes / ocean, motorcycles, or so many other hobbies one might have.  Hope you stay on the hunt of another bird, enjoy the journey - Darrell