Looking for a tool set or list

Jim Meade

For the CTSW/LS owner (with Rotax, naturally), is there a list or set of tools that is recommended?

If there is not such a list, what would you include for maintenance short of airframe or engine overhaul?

Even I can figure out that if I don't have a tool and need it I should go out and buy it. I'm hoping for a list or set that includes most commonly used tools so that I could shop for a set or look for these tools before I need them, when I have time to compare prices, features and quality.

For example, do I need a 3/8" drive torque wrench or will a 1/4" do? What torque range? Any particular sockets or wrenches that are necessary or nice? Is a wrench or socket set useful or should I just buy the 3-4 that are used since the others are not? Filter wrenches? Spanners? Borescope (I'm probably going to get one anyway, so which kind and features)? Jacks? Compression tester? Electronic meters? Battery charger? Which tools would you take with you for every flight? You get the picture.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to doing some shopping when you post the set or list.

Hi Jim,

It was nice meeting and talking on the phone the other day. Welcome to our big happy family.

As far as the tools you named them all.

You will need at least these:

All metric: 3/8" and 1/4" drive metric sockets with drives (Ace hardware has a great 1/4" metric socket a accessory set for about $15, one of my most used tools)

a set of metric deep sockets

a 1/4" and a 3/8" 12" socket extension

metric open and ratcheting boxed end wrenches 8-19mm

a small set (Craftsman) very small open and boxed end wrench set 4-11mm, they come in a little plastic pouch

metric allen (hex key) wrenches standard set

metric metal Tee handle hex key (get the Eklind brand, it's all solid steel) (do not get the plastic handle type. they will eventually twist inside the plastic)

metric 3/8" allen wrench socket set

a set or metric 3/8" crows feet

A good torque wrench in in/lbs. ( I prefer the 3/8" drive Snap-On digital torque wrench, check Ebay for a good used one) Get the lowest in/lb range

Metric drill bits

feeler gauge

drift punch set

oil filter wrench

large and small screwdriver set in straight and philip's head

Digital fish scale

electric multimeter

assorted pliers (vise grips (regular and needle nose), needle nose both regular length and 12", regular pliers) safety wire pliers

metal hammer and plastic hammer

metric tap and die set

safety wire in .032 and .041

Thermal heat conducting paste for the spark plugs

white grease

gauge setup for carb balancing

Oetiker clamp set (comes with pliers and an assortment of clamps)

differential Compression tester with a .40 office

a good FLOAT battery charger

This will get you started

Borescope is nice, but not really needed

I almost forgot.

A Dremel tool with at least the larger and small sanding drums and the fiber reinforced cut off blades. The Dremel is a must at one time or another.

Another great time saving and constant use tool is a Ridgid drill : http://www.protoolreviews.com/reviews/power-tools/cordless/combo-kits/ridgid-r92008-12v-drill-and-led-light-combo-kit-review

I use this tool extensively on every inspection. Great for removing screws or drilling. The light is a must for inspections and some work. It's nice and bright. If you register on line then the 3 year warranty becomes a life time warranty. It covers the drill, the light, both battery's and the charger so long as you own it.

3 or 4 wood clamps for squeezing the tires down during a tire/tube replacement so you don't get the tube pinched between the rims.

As far as tools to take in the plane, a metric hex set, a multiple tool and a screwdriver with a few different bits, slotted and Phillips will do plenty.

Not a tool, but heat shrink tubing is good to have around. Also, to check some rigging and make sure the "ball" is centered when the wings are level, a quality straightedge (3-6 ft) and a good digital level are useful.

Not a tool, but heat shrink tubing is good to have around. Also, to check some rigging and make sure the "ball" is centered when the wings are level, a quality straightedge (3-6 ft) and a good digital level are useful.

Fred, You bring up a good point. I can't count the number of CT's I have assembled from the factory where I didn't have to adjust the ball for centering. With the wings level we would always have to move the entire instrument panel to the starboard side. Next time you all are in your CT, look at the holes on the port side of the mushroom down by your feet. They are probably elongated to allow relief so we could shove it over. I'm sure there are some more out there that need centering, this is how we were told to fix it.

Roger - you just cost me $139.00!! For the drill. Home Depot has them.

Based on a cursory glance, that is probably about a typical price.

This review considers it a very good drill. The Milwaukee might be good competition. I assume we're figure weight and convenience, not just power. The Ridgid falls down slightly in the battery department and there are some gripes online about that, but one is urged to register it and get lifetime battery support.

http://www.cordless-drill-reviews.com/drill-driver-12V.html

I use that drill like a religion on every inspection or general maint. It has good trigger control, nice light clutch, but yet can deliver 240 in/lbs of torque if need be. It is a two speed. It is small and light and easy to maneuver and not heavy to make your arm tired or hard to control. comes with 2 batteries that I only charge every other month. It only takes 30 min. to charge a battery. It comes with a nice bright light which is a must for any inspection and a charger and a case for the whole thing. Home Depot was the best place for me to buy. I liked it so much that after 6 months I took it home and bought a second one for the aircraft service. You can buy a little accessory kit and use all kinds of bits, drivers and 1/4" sockets. It saves me a lot of wrist turning and time. Trigger control is key so you don't drive down our little button head screws too tight.

This tool I recommend.

It has a 3 year warranty, but if you register on line it is a life time warranty on the drill, light, batteries and charger. I have needed to replace 2 batteries, but that replaced them quickly and no questions ask. Who else has a life time warranty on everything?

Archived