Pre buy inspection.

Bill3558

I’m looking at an airplane that has from day one been maintained by Arian at Flight Design. He has done all the annuals. Log books are clean.

Would you guys buy a plane sight unseen under these conditions?  Or would you still get a pre buy inspection done?

appreciate any thoughts. 

Define sight unseen.  Rarely does one buy anything until on scene.  Perhaps you place a deposit with understanding a flight test and walk around once you're there to close the deal.  Then I'd wire the money on the spot when you're closing.  Buying an airplane is simple and quick process, I'd not send full payment in advance.

Being FD USA maintained exclusively would give me confidence about it, and likely negate the need for a pre-buy.  Especially if a late model and low time.

Arian put a fuel pump on my plane while I watched years ago. I feel that his work is top notch. I would go to wherever the plane is with check in hand,  look it over and if it’s what was promised, fly it home. You know what to look for as a owner.

I'll put it this way.

If flight design USA made a mistake, can you count on them to step up and fix it? What if you discover the problem at the next annual several months later, and nobody is sure if it was already there, or something that developed while it was in your possession?

Are you sure the problem hasn't developed in between the time it's been inspected and by the time you sign the purchase agreement?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 3:01 PM, Bill3558 said:

I hear you. But the plane was maintained by Flight Design!  I imagine the pre buy guy would just be talking to them which might be a waste of time and money. But then again another set of eyes on couldn’t hurt. 

Is this your first plane purchase?  Coming across a bit naive here. If everything is good you can just roll the pre-buy inspection into an annual after closing on the purchase.