D100 and 496 audible alerts

Towner

When I bought my plane a year ago, it had no audible alerts from the d100 or 496, including aoa or xm coming through the headsets. I’ve played with the programming of both to make sure the alerts are turned on, but still nothing. The set up is a d100/120, 496, garmin  gnc 250 but no hs34. 

Other than programming to make sure the audible stuff is turned on, I haven’t messed with it.

Today, I was reading through some old posts and found one post from one of our knowledgeable regulars that said some early CTSWs weren’t equipped for any audible alerts. Can anyone confirm this? How would I know if mine fell into that category? I’m guessing if it has a 496, because of xm it would have audible ability.

My intercom is also a pm501, not a 3000 like everyone else seems to have. Could this make a difference? The only switch on the intercom is for pilot isolate. Others have said they have a switch on the panel, but there is nothing like this on mine.Audible really doesn’t matter to me, as long as nobody else cares during a flight review, just curious to play with it.

Audible alerts from the 496 goes through the music hookup of the intercom*. If you have a switch that says XM Audio / Aux Audio, switch it to XM. That's GPS audio.

*The FD wiring diagrams do not have the audio system charted, and there will also be other sources of audio too. In my aircraft, I can hear everything. Be careful about this because you can cut off the aural warnings such as the stall horn.

Even though it’s sea level and flat here, I’m only about 50 miles to the sierras, so I guess terrain warnings would be nice. Kinda the same with airspace alerts. Not much here, but if I fly to the Los Angeles area or Bay Area, airspace alerts might be nice in case I goof something up. I’m curious how well they work in really busy space like LA. Would they be helpful or more of a pain. Seems like they would constantly be going off.

I guess an intercom upgrade may be the way to go. Does an intercom have to be done by an avionics shop? 

My '07 was basic analog from the factory. I had a D100 and my 396 installed by the FD western distributor. Never had a stall warning.

I've since had it upgraded for ADS-B in and out replacing the 396 with an Aera 660 and GTX345 transponder.

What would have to be done to get stall warning? I assume programming the D100??

Wire to an audio mixer like the intercom or radio if it has an audio in, after verifying they're safe to do so. Don't just wire to audio jacks, bad things are possible without mixing.

Or just wire it to a compatible speaker! This is still common too.

The other big benefit to getting audio from your EFIS (or HS34 if you have one) is there are als configurable warnings for engine instrumentation if you have the EMS too.

Well, it’s good to hear that my SW isn’t the only one without a stall warning. At least it appears it’s not a wiring issue, but just came that way! That kinda what I was guessing with the really old post I had read.

Still may upgrade the intercom though. While I currently can’t get music through the intercom, I would like to set it up for this. Doing a little research on my 501, it does have an input I can use. The problem is it will mute music for talking on the intercom, but doesn’t mute for incoming radio transmissions. Don’t know that I like that idea of not muting for incoming radio, but it would be cured with the 3000. I currently listen to music through my headset, but the poor passenger wearing the really old headset is out of luck.

Thanks for all the responses. As always, great information!

18 hours ago, Anticept said:

Wire to an audio mixer like the intercom or radio if it has an audio in, after verifying they're safe to do so. Don't just wire to audio jacks, bad things are possible without mixing.

Or just wire it to a compatible speaker! This is still common too.

The other big benefit to getting audio from your EFIS (or HS34 if you have one) is there are als configurable warnings for engine instrumentation if you have the EMS too.

Thank you Corey.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, GlennM said:

I have a stall horn in my 2006 CTSW with Dynons.

Did it come from the factory with an AoA pitot tube, or was it added later?  I have seen CTLS with AoA pitot tubes from the factory, but have not seen a CTSW so equipped.  I'm not saying yours didn't, I just have not seen one before.  When I asked the factory about adding one to my airplane, they demanded money for an "engineering study" to be done, which is typically only something FD asks for when a modification has never been done and tested on an airplane before.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Hmm...okay.  Not sure why FD acted like it was a new thing in my CTSW. 

I'm pretty sure all of the CTSW's with the advanced Dynon package from the factory had the AoA probe. Any that had analog from the factory did not. At least for 2006 and later.

How long ago did you ask this, Morden?

I feel like the old flight design GmbH was asking for a bunch of unnecessary crap because they were financially in trouble.

That said, you would be cutting holes in your leading edge or the bottom of your wing and possibly needing to add doublers, so it's not outside the realm of needing some work to create the instructions. It would also need flight testing to dial it in, but the nice thing is that dynon's calibration procedure is simple.

49 minutes ago, Anticept said:

How long ago did you ask this, Morden?

I feel like the old flight design GmbH was asking for a bunch of unnecessary crap because they were financially in trouble.

That said, you would be cutting holes in your leading edge or the bottom of your wing and possibly needing to add doublers, so it's not outside the realm of needing some work to create the instructions. It would also need flight testing to dial it in, but the nice thing is that dynon's calibration procedure is simple.

This would have been the 2013-2014 time frame.

I understand there might be some engineering work involved.  But they should have a very good idea what is required if they were installing this at the factory in other airplanes.  Certainly it should not take the $1800 they quoted me to figure it out.  Needless to say, I declined and instead developed a greater seat of the pants stall awareness.

That was the timeframe when FD Germany was having problems, and even simple modifications was getting ridiculous.

I would ask again, I know you're E-LSA so you don't actually have to, but if you ever wanted to go back to S-LSA, you have the documentation to back up the move.