Throttle Lever Won't Hold - Increases

Dan Little

I have a 2015 CTLSi and I'm having problems with the throttle lever not holding in place. If i don't hold it, it will increase automatically. It's especially bad when it's cold. I checked the maintenance manual and it looks like there isn't an adjustment to tighten the handle. Anyone ever have this issue?

Thank you.

This is an easy 5 minute job. Remove the throttle lever red plastic top. Then remove the 4 button head screws that hold the panel down where the choke and throttle lever are. You will need a 13mm open end wrench and a small flat tip screwdriver. You will notice at the base of the throttle lever a bolt that runs through the throttle lever and choke base. You are going to tighten that nut that protrudes out the right side. You only need to tweak it a tad. It doesn't take much to increase the throttle lever tension. Take the small flat tip screwdriver and place it down in the small space where the bolt head on the left side and press down firmly. This will keep the bolt from turning. Now place the 13mm wrench on the  nut and tweak it a tad tighter. Now check the throttle friction. If it is firmer and you like it your done. If you want it a tad more friction then tighten the nut a bit more. It doesn't take much to increase the throttle friction. Now just put the cover plate back on. In cold weather the friction can loosen a bit and of course over time with wear.

This procedure works for CTSW's and CTLS's too.

• 2 weeks later...

I just re-adjusted mine, I have to put a little torque on it every 18 months or so.

Related question:  Does anybody else have a throttle lever that vibrates at idle?  Mine kind of goes brrrrrring at idle if my hand isn't on it.  It has to do with the length of the lever and the plastic handle acting as a weight on the end.  There must just be a harmonic there -- it has done this as long as I've had it.  It's an annoyance and not a big deal, but I have considered chopping an inch or two off the throttle length to give it less of a moment to work with.  Any other suggestions to address that?

7 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Are the carbs synced? Lately?

I wouldn't trim the lever. Just ignore it.

Yeah, It's not a carb sync or prop balance issue, it has been that way since day one and never changes.  I can certainly ignore it...maybe I can add a rubber band around the lever near the base or something.  There might be some slop in the lever mounting or something.

Most I've dealt with that were buzzing a carb balance fixed. I use mechanical gauges for balanceing. I have also found one that had one propeller blade not matching the others. I use a digital level, and pitch to the .1th of a degree. Also if the engine mount rubbers are old you could be getting vibration through the mount.

13 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I just re-adjusted mine, I have to put a little torque on it every 18 months or so.

Related question:  Does anybody else have a throttle lever that vibrates at idle?  Mine kind of goes brrrrrring at idle if my hand isn't on it.  It has to do with the length of the lever and the plastic handle acting as a weight on the end.  There must just be a harmonic there -- it has done this as long as I've had it.  It's an annoyance and not a big deal, but I have considered chopping an inch or two off the throttle length to give it less of a moment to work with.  Any other suggestions to address that?

Yes - Mine does this and i had the exact same thought of possibly shortening the lever -  i decided to just live with it as is.  :)     I also have a habit of engaging the brake very shortly after takeoff to stop the mains spinning so the difference in length of the throttle and brake is a good thing - well sort of -   just last week i must have been in dream land and i accidentally pulled the throttle instead of the brake -  YIKES.   Embarrassing to admit that but shi* happens. 

11 hours ago, cdarza said:

Yes - Mine does this and i had the exact same thought of possibly shortening the lever -  i decided to just live with it as is.  :)    I also have a habit of engaging the brake very shortly after takeoff to stop the mains spinning so the difference in length of the throttle and brake is a good thing - well sort of -   just last week i must have been in dream land and i accidentally pulled the throttle instead of the brake -  YIKES.   Embarrassing to admit that but shi* happens. 

Glad I'm not the only one that sees this.  Yeah, I think the levers are different lengths for a reason, that's one of the main reasons I haven't shortened it.  I will do some tests with other easy fixes and let you know what I find.