WANTED TO BUY: SBS8 OR PC310 BATTERY ASAP

JGray

They have not had a thermal runaway yet in their tso certification process for the certified version, this coming from the company principles I'm working with. Of coarse the FAA is requiring an overboard vent system regardless. 

You missed the sarcasm.

Lifepo4 batteries will still get extremely hot, and still throw off extremely nasty and flammable gas once the process begins, it's just much more difficult than lipo since its a more stable chemistry.

I had a pipe crack and blast hot exhaust partway through a lead acid battery. It would have triggered it.

The thermal box is enclosed on all sides save for the top so with that I am not worried about a repeat. And during taxi and takeoff when things are hottest under the cowl, it shields it from radiant heat too.

The 40c upper limit is a battery chemistry limit across the battery industry as a standard for LifePo4. Above that, cell degradation issues increase with temperature as an unavoidable consequence and shorten the life of the cells.