Tru Trak - AVMAP EKP V Query

gorilla

Hi Guys,

I've just installed a Bendix King xCruze100 (Tru Trak Vizion) in my 2006 CTSW and I'm using an AVMAP EKP V for the GPS source.

The GPS wire from the AP head unit (pin 17) is connected to Serial Interface A (tx) on the EKP V docking station.

The trouble is that when the AVMAP & AP are powered on, my head unit constantly says "NO GPS". 

I have checked that the baud rates on both devices are the same and even changed them both to other rates but still no joy.  I have enabled NMEA output in the EKP V autopilot menu and ticked all the NMEA message types but still nothing.  The wire from the head unit was a shielded cable so I even tried connecting the shield to the GND terminal on the EKP V docking station and still nothing! 

Has anyone got a Tru Trak AP connected to an AVMAP?  If so, how did you do it?  Thanks.

Paul

Hello Paul,

I don't have knowledge around AVMAP, but did a recent install of TruTrak to GRT EFIS.  Took a look at AVMAP docking station, is pic below what you're seeing?  Standard wire is fine, not a shielding issue.  Is the #13 ground tied to common ground as the TruTrak?

I'd contact AVMAP, I imagine with the number of TruTrak installs they would be familiar with situation.  I tend to think its on the AVMAP side.  I'd also confirm you have the correct pin wired, sometimes when you use the opposite sex connector and/or work on the back side of connectors hooking things up, the wrong pin is selected.  I'm sure I've never done that... :) 

image.png.113fa17c65006d9a3dc0c0efa4e463dd.png

image.png

Hi Darrell, good to talk to you again!

Yes, the "Standard Version DB 15 Connections" diagram is what I have on my EKP V docking station and I've connected the Tru Trak GPS output wire to "TXA" on the Serial Interface "A" terminal and the shield to the "GND" terminal just 2 positions up from the "TXA" terminal. 

I am going to check a couple of things tomorrow; one will be that the shield on the AVMAP "GND" terminal is tied to the main "GND" on the Tru Trak and two, that the GPS wire is definitely connected to Pin 17 on the Tru Trak multi-pin plug!  I know where you're coming from!!

Furthermore, I have just downloaded the latest (2021) xCruze100 Installation Manual from the Bendix King website and I note that there are some additional more detailed set-up stages to select other than the ones which are shown on the Bruce Grammon video.  The manual states that there are three settings for EFIS type: ASPEN, Garmin G5 or Other GPS.  Tomorrow, I will see what the default setting is and change it to "Other GPS" if necessary.  If all else fails, I will contact AVMAP as you suggest.

with software version   

Update: 

Hi Darrell,

Today, I checked that the AP GPS wire was definitely connected to pin 17 on the Tru Trak multi-plug; it was.  Then I checked for continuity across both ends of the cable; absolutely fine.  Next, I checked to see if the shield that I had connected to GND on the AVMAP was tied to the AP ground; it was.  Then in the AP set-up menu, I checked to see if the EFIS option was set to "0 - Other GPS", it was.

Next, I disconnected the GPS wire from the AVMAP and connected it to the GPS terminal of my TRIG TN72 GPS source which I use for ADSB-out when connected to my transponder.  I left the shield unconnected just to see if it made a difference.  And my AP worked perfectly with "No GPS" in the display turning to "NO FIX" and then "GPS OK" a few seconds later!  Having narrowed down the problem to my AVMAP (which is what you thought, Darrell), I've sent an email to AVMAP support asking for some guidance.

Paul