ELSA - What can I change and modify on my airplane

Big Flapper

I have changed my CTLS to ELSA but lately I have read some statements that support the idea that changes to my airplane still require authorization from the manufacture. This is not what I have heard and read about the ELSA status.

Appreciate any input from our resident "experts"

Thanks

My understanding as experimental is you can change anything that doesn’t effect the performance limitations set for an LSA aircraft (stall speed, max cruise speed, weight, etc), without manufacturer approval.

My operating limitations from my DAR state that engine or propeller changes have to be sent to the local FSDO and a response received before those changes are “legal”.

I have been able to change the Garmin 696 to a Garmin 175, upgrade the Dynon ADSB in, the autopilot from TruTrak to Dynon, and various other small changes. None of them require approval from the manufacturer if ELSA. Most of those changes could be done SLSA with a MRA though.

You are now kind of considered the “manufacturer” of the aircraft now, and can decode what changes can be made, as long as the aircraft remains in the LSA limitations and your Operating Limitations from your DAR.

Best bet might be to talk to a DAR that has done ELSA conversions if you have questions. I would not ask the FSDO (FSO now), as that usually opens up a bigger can of worms.

*This is my understanding of the regulations and should not be taken as legal advice on the airworthiness of the aircraft.

You can usually make changes without FD, butttt you really need to read your new Operating Limitations issued from the DAR for these two clauses. I now know several with clauses they thought they were getting away from going ELSA.

DARS must all write certain things, but they have leeway with others.

Some new ELSA folks read their's and found two issues they didn't know about and not everyone has them.

1. You must follow all MFG's time limited parts replacements.

2. You must get a FSDO's prior authorization to make changes to the aircraft.

Look and see if you have these.

"Make changes to the aircraft" is way to broad and is makes no sense in practicality. I installed an E-Prop and was told by the DAR that there was no issue due to it being well proven on CT's in Europe. He had no issues with VG's . The VG's did not change any in- flight characteristics or performance, only allowing a normal flair without a tail stall. I guess I am able to get a little less scrutiny due to my aero engineering background and I have worked on projects with this DAR when he was the FSDO maintenance manager. I suppose not all DAR's are equal.

ELSA allows a lot of leeway for avionics,  lightning, fuel lines, instrumentation, etc.