A strong recommendation: fuse the battery charge wire

10 hours ago, Anticept said:

Would require you to take off the cowling.

As I mentioned I pulled this wire off completely, the risk of fire or electrocution outweighs the inconvenience of pulling the cowl to charge or jump, IMO.

I think if this wire is retained it should be fused and have a true waterproof connector terminating it.  It's one of the weakest parts of the setup, IMO, and that's saying something given the CT's electrical system.  :D

On 5/10/2023 at 3:43 PM, EricB said:

I get this recommendation and intend to implement it in my CTLS.  Question is, does that not require Experimental rather than S-LSA registration as you are going contrary (or outside of) manufacturer guidance?  Manufacturer was not thinking but FCC says they rule.

Yes, for SLSA it technically requires an MRA.  BUT...safety before bureaucracy, IMO.  You'd be correcting a design deficiency in an industry-standard way.  I don't think the FAA, insurance company, or even Flight Design (well...maybe them) would fault you much for that as Corey said.

If you just bend it down and away from the cowl and have it's rubber or polyurethane cover over it it will never be an issue. The only time it's an issue is if you bend it up to touch the cowl or place an charger on the wire and allow it to touch. Around 2K CT's in the world and only a few had this issue because someone was unaware. Almost anything on the plane can cause an issue if done improperly.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:43 PM, EricB said:

I get this recommendation and intend to implement it in my CTLS.  Question is, does that not require Experimental rather than S-LSA registration as you are going contrary (or outside of) manufacturer guidance?  Manufacturer was not thinking but FCC says they rule.

There's a March 2023 service bulletin that has an "option 2" that includes fusing the wire. I assume that covers SLSA, yeah?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 8:02 PM, shiny.ice said:

There's a March 2023 service bulletin that has an "option 2" that includes fusing the wire. I assume that covers SLSA, yeah?

Got a link to this SB? I'm still connecting my charger to the dangling wire after 5 years I've had no issues but I guess it's just a matter of time perhaps 

On 4/15/2022 at 12:48 PM, Tom Baker said:

I had a customer have this happen with a CTLSi. He just got it back from Tulsa not to long ago. The dangling charge wire is gone, and a plug for the charger is accessible inside the oil door now.

Any chance you have some photos of how you moved it over to the oil door?