exploded view of CTSW master cylinder required

colin_eyres

55 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Matco brakes and parts are already approved. I got them when I did the first Matco change on my plane.

Yes the master cylinder is just s drop in replacement.

Technically as Corey put it it requires a MRA. ASTM requires the manufacture to keep a record of any changes made to the airplane from the day of manufacture. The MRA is how that requirement is complied with. At least that is my understanding.

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

Technically as Corey put it it requires a MRA. ASTM requires the manufacture to keep a record of any changes made to the airplane from the day of manufacture. The MRA is how that requirement is complied with. At least that is my understanding.

Correct.

Previously it was assumed that once an MRA was given, anyone could install equipment. It was also assumed that if later models could install equipment, older builds of the same model could too.

Neither is true, all changes require MRAs. Even if you didn't opt for a piece of equipment at manufacture, you can't change your mind later without an MRA.

3 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

There are fleet wide approvals for Matco. I know because I was the first to use them and get them approved. I got Matco and FD together and as of Jan. 2009 they were put on all CT's.

Back then was during the wild west for these airplanes. There was a lot of things happening back then that was not correct. As things have went on more information has come out. Again it is a ASTM requirement to record any change to SLSA, minor or major, from when it leaves the factory. The leg work has already been done for the engineering, but the change to the individual airplane needs to be recorded through the MRA process. The MRA in this case is not necessarily for approval of the installation, but rather recording the change to the airplane. 

With a fleet wide approval all you'd need to do is put the fleet wide LOA info in the logbook with its LOA number and date. Since it's a fleet wide LOA then and individual one isn't needed. When FD was first coming out into the main stream then everything was getting changed and LOA's were needed for everything. I generated many of those. FD was very nice and accommodating and were nice to work with.

Roger, you don't seem to understand.

It is not about the approval, yes the brakes are approved.

It is about recording the change to the aircraft.

ASTM requires the manufacture to keep a record of any change to the aircraft.

It is like recording major repairs or alterations on standard category aircraft with the FAA, except all changes for a SLSA must be recorded. When installing the Matco brakes the manufacture needs to record that change to the aircraft in their records.

The sign off in the logbooks does not provide compliance with the ASTM requirement.