Mains off the ground and Carb bowels

Ken

Hi Folks:

So I read the manual on the procedures for getting the mains off the ground for inspection. I thought maybe the brain trust here might have some other methods that have worked better than the method in the manual.

Also, the Carb drip pans make it impossible (on my installation)to remove the carb bowels for inspection of the floats. To remove the drip pans requires removing way too many parts than seems logical to me. Has anyone designed a drip pan that does not require so much disassembly so I would just have to do this once?

Best,

Ken

N296CT      

I can only talk about the CTSW. I don't know what you have but assume CTSW.

Loosen the screw on the carb socket. Then pull the carb out of the socket. No need to mess with throttle or choke controls. Once out of the socket you now have room to take the carb bowls off. Oh, without looking I think the spring on top of the carb has to be removed.

Somewhere on this forum Roger posted a video on how to do this.

You don’t need to remove the carb. Just loosen the clamp on he rubber mount then loosen the clamp and slide the air intake off the carb. Then push the carb back out of its rubber socket. Now you can lift the carb up high enough to drop the bowl. While the bowl is off weigh the floats, check for debris and remove the idle jet and rod it out with a single strand of 18 ga. Or smaller wire strand. The jet hole is right next t the main jet and comes out with a start tip screwdriver. 

To raise a main wheel place a 6’ ladder with a flat pad on top under the wing next to the tie down. This will raise the wheel off the ground and won’t hurt anything. I’ve been doing it this way since 2006 and never an issue.