Sun shade anyone?

Has anyone come up with a way to cover the overhead window (from the inside :P ) on long flights in CAVU wx?

I really enjoy the light that window provides but I'd like to cut the glare on the instruments (and iPad) and maybe the sun tan.

Any ideas?

I have a couple sun shades with suction cups.

This is the only photo I can find that shows it:

web.jpg?ver=12995002550001

REALLY helps keep the sun off. I think they're available from Sporty's, but I've also seen them at auto parts stores and WalMart, I think.

I just use those static-cling plastic things, cheap, get from most any car parts or even like Walmart or eBay (search static cling shade)... provides great shade, yet you can see through somewhat... easy to remove and store. I also have some that have little suction cups...

order_1_12605.jpg

401-037_1_.jpg

Sportys has both types... just a bit more $$$

Tim

Thanks fellas.

I went to PEP BOYS auto and found a roll of static cling film by AXIOM for $18. Maybe 6 1/2 x 2 1/2' roll that can be scissor cut and stays on by static cling. Easy on and off.

Went to my hangar and covered the ceiling and side windows by the rear shelves. Then cut a piece to fit over the top half of the pilot's side window above the vent which I rolled up and put on the rear shelf for occasional use. I have enuf left to do the whole thing again.

We'll see how it works on my 5 hour flight to Sebring.

Several of us have blocked out windows on the top and partially in front of the wing root tunnel. We buy some 1/4" foam board from a craft store. This stuff is very light and stiff. Then we cover it with out favorite fabric. Then just glue on some Velcro tabs in each corner. My top windshield is totally blocked and has been for 4 years. The the first 10" of the front windshield in front of the wing root tunnel is blocked out. this makes the cabin cooler, darker and makes all the instruments very easy to see. My head doesn't get sun burned and I don't get blinded by the sun. For me those sun shield film purchased at the auto store just isn't enough. I'll try and remember to take a picture.

• 7 years later...
On 5/17/2011 at 7:35 PM, Roger Lee said:

Several of us have blocked out windows on the top and partially in front of the wing root tunnel. We buy some 1/4" foam board from a craft store. This stuff is very light and stiff. Then we cover it with out favorite fabric. Then just glue on some Velcro tabs in each corner. My top windshield is totally blocked and has been for 4 years. The the first 10" of the front windshield in front of the wing root tunnel is blocked out. this makes the cabin cooler, darker and makes all the instruments very easy to see. My head doesn't get sun burned and I don't get blinded by the sun. For me those sun shield film purchased at the auto store just isn't enough. I'll try and remember to take a picture.

Very old post, but could you post a pic?  Particularly of front windshield.  Cooler and darker would be nice.

Fabric stores sell a gray foam backed fabric which sticks to velcro hook. Been using it for years on upper window and really cuts down on heat. For upper side holes glue 2 foam sides together and cut round discs, attach to stick-on velcro hook fitted all the way around hole. Works great and looks good.

Archived