Seat Belts

Warren

Hi , I was wondering if anybody else is having trouble with seat belts continually coming loose? if so does anybody have a remedy to fix this.My Wife and I Just done a 26 hour fly away from Southern Queensland Australia to Cape York Far North Queensland, and the seatbelts drove me mad coming loose all the time. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Warren

This has been posted before. The webbing used is too thin and slick for the adjusters used and will slip. Certified webbing for aircraft is of better quality and holds well. I had mine redone with certified webbing and better adjusters and no longer have issues. As far as shoulder harness falling off Roger is right. I went a little overboard and modified the seat.

Hi Thanks for the reply, slipping of the shoulder is not so much the problem. That make sence about the thinness of the strap, I had thought about the velcro, but wasn't sure about the legality, as aircraft is not ELSA and I do use the aircraft for Lessons.

Regards

Warren

What is your process for making changes to your airplanes down under? I know Flight Design USA when approached said they would consider approval for the installation of a Hooker Harness. I would think if there is any care about safety that approval of an aviation manufactured harness would be a no brainer.

I don't understand how FD can be silent on this issue for so long considering the safety considerations. I consider the rules null and void when it comes to obvious safety issues. Even the FAA came to this conclusion on older aircraft that had no shoulder harnesses and allowed manufacture and installation as a minor change.

11 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

What is your process for making changes to your airplanes down under? I know Flight Design USA when approached said they would consider approval for the installation of a Hooker Harness. I would think if there is any care about safety that approval of an aviation manufactured harness would be a no brainer.

Hi Tom the rules in AUS are the same as in USA, for LSA you need a manufacturer approval for any change no matter how small. Having said that you are lucky to have F D USA who can do it as a manufacturer,  but in AUS we have to go to back to Europe. A bit of a disadvantage with LSA compared to an engineering order for a change to a normal certified aircraft.   

Hey, Warren...I had the same concerns about shoulder harnesses slipping off our shoulders continually.  We are not large folks, but the straps would not stay put. Ever. Even using a large loop of 2 inch industrial velcro horizontally between the shoulder straps would not help. If there was a sudden stoppage of forward motion of any sort, our faces would strike the dash easily as bodies are quite elastic when severe deceleration occurs.

FD/USA sent me an MRA when I explained what I wanted to do.  I understand your geographic dilemma on approvals. I took the F/D harnesses out of the airplane and had a joining strap stitched to the straps at chest level using what are called "cobra clips", very flat locking devices used in utility company fall protection safety harnesses. Designed to be resistant to being opened accidentally and very flat, no comfort issues.  The strap has never creeped at all in 6-7 years.

There was a company in Phoenix, Arizona specializing in industrial fall protection that did the work for me and were happy to help. (Cash, no paper to make them comfortable with liability...$50 bucks for both and done!) Just a suggestion if there are any "industrial grade" fall safety harness manufacturers in your area.  HOOKER makes a great product, but removing and replacing is way different (paperwork) deal than a small modification to enhance personal safety. I'd wager nobody would ever know/notice the mod. It isn't airframe, power plant, or avionics...so maybe the airplane came that way...?

If your issue is that the harness is coming loose from its attach points on the airframe, I can''t help you there. 

By the way, I visited Sunshine Coast some 20 years ago and did some soaring in the Glasshouse Mountains with an airline pilot in a Grob 109 motor glider.  We cruised about 30 miles of the most beautiful beach at 300 feet with nary a person in sight anywhere. I love your home!

Blue skies!

Thanks Jim, that  looks like it might be a good solution.

Tigerbait I also live on the Sunshine Coast, we are lucky here lovely spot to fly relatively uncluttered skies.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Regards

Warren