2005 CTSW Pre-Buy in Ontario

zerologmar

Hello All,

I'm looking at purchasing a low time 2005 CTSW close to Toronto in Ontario. I took a look at the plane today and it seems to be in good condition but it hasn't been flying much.  I do know that the parachute and rocket need to be serviced by BRS (doesn't look like it was ever done).  Is there anyone knowledgeable who can help me out with a pre-buy inspection? 

Thanks

Greetings,

I'd recommend searching "pre buy" and "pre-buy" in the search field at top of page, that will reveal a lot of info on previous first-time buyers asking this question.  There is a guy on Facebook 'Flight Design CT' group that's not far from you, he may be aware of some FD mechanics or Rotax knowledgeable local contacts.

image.png.fa6ab737922136e1ccaf012ba100e11f.png

Lastly, the gang here can share lots of intel, but it would take me an hour to type again what a search will reveal.  I'm open to a call to discuss more too.  810 434-3421

CTSW's are sweet machines, not flying much will likely have a few gremlins to sort out, don't let those aspects turn you off - all negotiation points...

Hi Darrell,

Thanks very much for your reply.  I did do a search for "pre-buy" before looking at the plane and it was very helpful. 

My impressions of the plane are that essentially, it is in good condition. It has only ~310 hours TT and was flown only ~20 hours over the past two years.  Maintenance has been regular when looking at the Journey Log but there is very little mention of any safety items or SBs being completed.  There was no firewall blanket present and the parachute and rocket are past due. Interestingly, it is a soft pack 1350 BRS which I haven't seen before in my research.  The instruments/avionics are pretty basic (steam gauges with an AV-30) and there's no autopilot. It has the old tail with elevator trim only.  The engine looked clean and the rubber was replaced 2.5 years ago but it doesn't have the soft start module. No indication of any of the Rotax Alerts/Bulletins having been completed.

My primary questions revolve around the rules regarding AULA's in Canada: whether it can be flown with the expired/parachute and rocket (I would have these done but there may be a delay with supply chain issues on the BRS side); also whether AULA's have to adhere to Rotax's 15-year TBO.  

This would be my first aircraft purchase so I'd appreciate an experienced set of eyes to help me along!

I've reached out to Flight Design's Canadian distributor via telephone and email over the past few days but haven't gotten a reply yet.

12 minutes ago, zerologmar said:

My primary questions revolve around the rules regarding AULA's in Canada: whether it can be flown with the expired/parachute and rocket (I would have these done but there may be a delay with supply chain issues on the BRS side); also whether AULA's have to adhere to Rotax's 15-year TBO.  

parachute are not mandatory on AULA,,, my 2005 came without it and I never installed one

.  same thing for the TBO

4 hours ago, zerologmar said:

instruments/avionics are pretty basic

That's a positive in my book, older Dynon's are not aging well.  My 06' was a basic steam set up, installed newer technology and very pleased.  You don't have to spend a fortune, and portable equipment can be a good interim or even primary.  Autopilots can be added without a lot of expense if you're patient in hunting parts.

Sounds like you're onto a nice machine, low time and behind on some things is not a turn off to me.

Lastly, on flat ground, eyeball behind the plane or measure distance from ground to both wing tips.  SW gear don't tolerate hard landings, legs can be replaced.  The Marc brakes tend to have poor alignment and you'll find tires wearing too, bent gear might worsen that condition.  It is normal for the outside of tread to wear heavier.

19 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

That's a positive in my book, older Dynon's are not aging well.  My 06' was a basic steam set up, installed newer technology and very pleased.  You don't have to spend a fortune, and portable equipment can be a good interim or even primary.  Autopilots can be added without a lot of expense if you're patient in hunting parts.

Sounds like you're onto a nice machine, low time and behind on some things is not a turn off to me.

Lastly, on flat ground, eyeball behind the plane or measure distance from ground to both wing tips.  SW gear don't tolerate hard landings, legs can be replaced.  The Marc brakes tend to have poor alignment and you'll find tires wearing too, bent gear might worsen that condition.  It is normal for the outside of tread to wear heavier.

Thanks Darrell, much appreciated. I'll be sure to check the wing levels.  I'm in the process of organizing a pre-buy so hopefully all goes well.  

Has anyone ever seen a soft BRS 1350 chute in a CTSW instead of the aluminum cannister version? Just trying to figure out if it came this way from the factory.  

Zero,

I think it was about 8 weeks, but I had to replace the rocket too, and one of the replacement parts on the rocket was not immediately available, and this was during Covid, so I'm not sure my experience is representative.

I found this photo of my softpack anyway, for people who don't know what we're talking about.

20210412_183916.thumb.jpg.cc9e8b2294acaf94b96055aadf91f0a7.jpg

On 10/6/2022 at 11:11 PM, zerologmar said:

Hi Mike,

If you don't mind sharing, what was the turnaround time from BRS for your repack?

Thanks

BRS received my H1350 for repack and rocket on September 2, and they say it’s going to be done early next week.  So it looks like the turn time is a little more than 6 weeks including shipping. 

14 minutes ago, zerologmar said:

Got in touch with BRS and they're saying 4 - 6 weeks. So looks like the plane will be grounded for roughly two months when this is done.

not correct.... chutes are NOT mandatory in Canada//// never had one on my CT or any AULA that I had or flown

so, you can legally  use your new toy without it  ...as all the certified that you flew so far

just do as Tom said  ,

but it will be OK  the CT you're looking at is just 6 months younger than mine  they're the same plane.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I had a pre-buy completed which revealed repairs to the top of the left wing, including aileron and flap, top left side of the stabilator, top of the fuselage, as well as a crack of about two inches that runs longitudinally exactly in the centre of the fuselage just aft of the BRS cut-out (I'm guessing this is a bond line?).  The inspector suggested I have this all assessed by a composite expert which I intend on doing.  In the meantime, I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Please see the below pictures:

1339337950_PXL_20221019_182159253-Copy.thumb.jpg.36e4dcae8fd25c6be79aeae4fb3cd7c8.jpg-9069494188669109986.jpg.9b40a6f3acb03abddc6c31629e5d559c.jpg-8600980959840196716.jpg.f3f9c2ca3c816ec0eed78546906156d8.jpg-8242812373587088834.jpg.686920db1dafced26a94c89a51942f01.jpg3467749747847566428.jpg.fffde5a9e4b88b7b62b6ae23edeff2f7.jpg3422668257410403511.jpg.90c7effee2f2e24d7244fb50420e5b4f.jpg1821872709321186005.jpg.fd44aa3c7fc7e86ba3e07813f3025a3c.jpg-1419311932466946839.jpg.00b6dc76ef8655ef9a86254edf0813d6.jpg