Fuel Mix

acresflyer

I am trying to get away from using ethanol fuel in my plane. The only ethanol-free unleaded available around here is only 90 OCT. If I used a mix of 25% 100LL and 75% of the 90 OCT unleaded, would that give me enough octane for the engine? Also would I have to change oil more often than 50 hrs like I do now using Aeroshell Sport oil?

You should be fine with a 25% - 75% mix with a 90 oct. starting point and it should net a 91 oct. You will be better off to always error on the high side with the 100LL. When you mix, more 100LL is better at times. If you use 87 oct the mix has to be 50/50 and absolutely no lower with the 100LL. You can still use the 50 hr oil change with the 25-75 mix., you should use Decalin fuel additive a lead scavenger.

• 1 month later...

Roger,

I asked the same fd center about the tcp problems and his response was that the last an they has regarding tcp was

last SI we have on this is SI-912-016 R3 July 13, 2010

http://www.rotax-aircraft-engines.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d04851.pdf

See Page 10 of 12 - Sect 5.2

It says field experience shows no detrimental effect when the instructions from TCP are followed.

• 3 months later...

You should be fine with a 25% - 75% mix with a 90 oct. starting point and it should net a 91 oct. You will be better off to always error on the high side with the 100LL. When you mix, more 100LL is better at times. If you use 87 oct the mix has to be 50/50 and absolutely no lower with the 100LL. You can still use the 50 hr oil change with the 25-75 mix., you should use Decalin fuel additive a lead scavenger.

Hi Roger,

The Mfg of my acft indicates that fuel filters are not necessary, so say ROTAX. I have not confirmed with ROTAX....But how can a competitor that counts on ROTAX with his kits and SLSA be wrong....The aircraft is low wing with a 12 gal wing tanks, 11 usable, on each side and a electric fuel pump. But I guess the Mfg doesnt use in line fuel filters.....?????????? Doug in IL

Archived