New Sport Pilot

RichardT

Hello everyone,

I have recently achieved a life long dream.  In April of this year, I purchased a 2010 CTLS from Airtime Aviation, and with it I began training for my Sport Pilot rating.  I also joined this ctflier forum shortly thereafter.  I have learned so much from this forum which was very helpful as I progressed through my training over the next few months.  Excited to share that I passed my checkride in late August and love flying my CTLS.  My wife and I have enjoyed flying together for over 15 hours since August.  She has a little fear of heights so this was a slow process.   Everything is going well.  My landings are consistently improving.  Thanks for letting me share my journey.  

Richard

Welcome to the forum and congratulations! Now that you have your license, and your own airplane, may you have many years of enjoyment.

Like your wife, I have a fear of heights. Fortunatly not when in an airplane!

Pick good days to take her up and involve her in the process. Have her plan a short flight and have her navigate. Teach her how to hold a heading and altitude. Her fears will fade away.

• 3 weeks later...

My observation is that many women enjoy the airplane as a tool to accomplish something, like visit children or grandchildren, take a vacation, spend some time with the husband, etc.  I don't see a lot of them have much enthusiasm for wingovers, stalls, STOL take-offs, etc.  There is a simple way to figure this out - ask her what she'd like to do.

I can absolutely relate to your comments.  On a recent flight where we were just “flying around”, I decided to do a touch-n-go at a nearby airport.  As we were accelerating after touching down, my wife said “I guess we’re not going to go check out the FBO and see what it’s like?” (in a disappointed voice).  The only saving grace that day was the early morning sun against the autumn leaves which made the view from the air simply stunning with all the fall colors.  She loved that!...I thought it was pretty cool too.  (It’s pretty much more about destination and purpose for her!)

22 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

My observation is that many women enjoy the airplane as a tool to accomplish something, like visit children or grandchildren, take a vacation, spend some time with the husband, etc.  I don't see a lot of them have much enthusiasm for wingovers, stalls, STOL take-offs, etc.  There is a simple way to figure this out - ask her what she'd like to do.

I don’t like any of these either … what I really love is flying around and looking at stuff from above - pretty much that’s all there is to it for me….and touch and goes , I like these, especially at interesting ( in terms of scenery/approach  ) airports.

When my kids were growing up, I owned a Cherokee, then a Mooney. While I love to fly just for fun, having an airplane allowed us to see so much of the western U.S. that we would have never seen without a plane. Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Las Vegas! We visited every state west of the Rockies at least once. They were great family trips…and I got to fly!