CTLS Engine Mount/Updated IPC

Garrett Gee

Hi all,

Currently going through a 5 year hose/rubber change, and me and my mechanic got all of that done. Problem is, when we pulled the engine mount and the airframe mount, we didn’t really pay attention to the bolt/spacer layout, as the CTLS IPC on the FDUSA website makes it appear all bolts/spacers are the same size/length. Upon further checking, FDUSA doesn’t even list the lengths of bolts or spacers or their position in the CTLS IPC. I know this has to do with the thrust vector and offsets. My engine frame spacers don’t even nearly match the IPC. The FDUSA CTLS IPC shows four washers, and mine has several different length spacers.

The TLDR, anyone have an updated CTLS (2010) IPC rather than the one on the FDUSA website? Or have a general guideline on which length bolts/spacers go where.

Let me know if anything is needed to possibly help.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

You gotta put the spacers, bolts, and washers where it's appropriate.

Two round spacers go up on the firewall at the top of the T mounts near the doors. Outside of that, you gotta play the guessing game.

You can use the center of the assembled cowling as a guide.

image.png.1ff98ab77bd0c05d4fd8c6100213ec19.png

image.png.0aff0b22e10d0b4895b009ea23dafc70.png

10 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I try and take pictures of each attach point, or count and mark each point with a Sharpie when taking them apart.

Yeah, definitely going to do this next time.  Looked at the parts manual and it all looked the same, so we just "sent it".  That was a bad idea...

49 minutes ago, Anticept said:

You gotta put the spacers, bolts, and washers where it's appropriate.

Two round spacers go up on the firewall at the top of the T mounts near the doors. Outside of that, you gotta play the guessing game.

You can use the center of the assembled cowling as a guide.

image.png.1ff98ab77bd0c05d4fd8c6100213ec19.png

image.png.0aff0b22e10d0b4895b009ea23dafc70.png

Big help!  Thank you!!!

I find that each airplane is different, and I have had to adjust both that I installed E-props on to center the spinner on the cowling. Also if you wind up with different spacers on the lower part of the mount it will effect rudder cable tension. Less spacers make a tighter cable and more make looser.

I'm late to this topic but I have a 2008 CTLS that the spinner doesn't even come close to be aligned with the cowling.

My plane had the 6 year rubber replacement 2 years ago and I bought it shortly after that, So - Is there a consensus that if I have the original cowling the spinner should be centered with the cowling? Sure looks like something I might need to adjust.

10 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I find that each airplane is different, and I have had to adjust both that I installed E-props on to center the spinner on the cowling. Also if you wind up with different spacers on the lower part of the mount it will effect rudder cable tension. Less spacers make a tighter cable and more make looser.

I noticed after I installed my e-prop a year ago, the spinner wasn’t aligned very well with the cowling, so that makes some sense. Probably best to just start from scratch like I am basically having to.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Big Flapper said:

I'm late to this topic but I have a 2008 CTLS that the spinner doesn't even come close to be aligned with the cowling.

My plane had the 6 year rubber replacement 2 years ago and I bought it shortly after that, So - Is there a consensus that if I have the original cowling the spinner should be centered with the cowling? Sure looks like something I might need to adjust.

Good question. I am curious to hear the consensus as well. Mine was the same way after I bought it about 5 years ago and it had just had the rubber change.

2 hours ago, Big Flapper said:

It is a 5 year rubber replacement. Sometimes even though they should, the engine mount rubbers don't get replaced. For the CTLS they are about $200. The other possibility is a bent motor mount.