Matco Brake Assemblies - Part Numbers?

tevbax

I've been searching through the forum, and see Matco discussions..... but no part numbers. Does Matco sell a retrofit brake kit for the CTSW? 

We desperately need to fix our wheel alignment issue. I just put tires on the plane back in September, and ill be ordering tires again today. The RH main continues to wear the outer 1/2 out VERY quickly. The only thing I can attribute to this is that our primary runway almost ALWAYS has a crosswind (asphalt, just microsurfaced and sealed). Total time on the tires is approx 25 hours with a moderate amount of pattern work. 

Ideas? 

I'm not saying your airplane doesn't have an issue, so please don't take any offense. Even if everything is correct the right tire will wear more for a new CT pilot. The CT lends itself to landing with the nose to the left for a number of reasons, which will wear the right tire. 

You can order through Roger Lee, or call Matco direct.

Word of warning...you can switch to Matco and still have alignment issues.  Mine were so bad from the factory that even with Matco wheels I had to have custom wheel shims machined to make them line up properly (caster) and have a reasonable amount of camber.  That finally fixed the issue, and now it's tracking very straight.  Before that I was burning through a set up tires every 40-50 landings -- it was nuts.

Here's a picture of one of my shims, the silver wedge between the two halves of the Matco axle setup.  It's a complex piece, angled in two dimensions to adjust both camber and caster.  And yes...my wheels and brakes are filthy.   😁

image.thumb.png.212b0d5e7aecc50fc693d7efdc5f9c88.png

16 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Word of warning...you can switch to Matco and still have alignment issues.  
Here's a picture of one of my shims, the silver wedge between the two halves of the Matco axle setup.  It's a complex piece, angled in two dimensions to adjust both camber and caster.  And yes...my wheels and brakes are filthy.   😁

This is exactly why I want to switch to Matco brakes - to shim the wheels to the proper toe setting. Visibly, with the airplane loaded, the right main in toed in/ cambered in. I still need to physically measure them, but you can visually see it. The gear legs are straight, and no damage to the mounting area on the fuselage. 

@Tom Bakerno offense taken. Our other pilot is new to the CT and is still working on the landing aspect. I have 150 in the CT's. 

Just now, tevbax said:

This is exactly why I want to switch to Matco brakes - to shim the wheels to the proper toe setting. Visibly, with the airplane loaded, the right main in toed in/ cambered in. I still need to physically measure them, but you can visually see it. The gear legs are straight, and no damage to the mounting area on the fuselage. 

@Tom Bakerno offense taken. Our other pilot is new to the CT and is still working on the landing aspect. I have 150 in the CT's. 

I think most Matco users can shim them properly with the allowed two washers per station Matco recommends.  Mine were just beyond those limits so I had to do something custom.

I'm an OEM for Matco and help set them up originally brake system for the SW. I just ordered a set of Matco's for a 2007 SW. We've sold hundreds of kits. I've probably installed somewhere between 50 - 60 sets myself.

Give me a call and I'll answer all your questions including install time and price.  520-349-7056

Another bit of input, if you're doing a lot of pattern work maybe remove the wheel pants and install a larger 600 size tire with more meat to consume.

Or maybe consider doing pattern work on a nice grass strip nearby if available.  I just replaced my mains (400 size) last night, after three years in service.  Flying off grass really extends the life.

1 hour ago, Towner said:

Pattern work and crosswinds may make a difference. I always have a slight crosswind from the left, and it’s the outside of my left tire that is really worn. Right side looks great on mine. I run the aero classic tires, which seem pretty soft too.

Our crosswind is typically from the right, hence the right outer edge. 

Had a good conversation with Roger, and I think we have a plan. 

7 hours ago, Eddie Cesnalis said:

Hi Tom,  I don't get this.  I land with the nose centered (aligned with runway) controlling drift with bank.  What reasons?

First is the lack of a reference for lining up. The base of the windshield is curved, and you can't see any structure beyond it, so nothing really good to use for alignment. Most people want to bring the center of the windshield in front of them as an alignment aid, and this makes you crooked.

Second is that the seats are slightly canted towards the center line of the airplane. It is not much, but it means your body is not square to the centerline. When you try and square your body to the runway the nose comes off center.

It takes time in the airplane to learn what you need for alignment, and what it takes to get the airplane lined up with the runway.

19 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

First is the lack of a reference for lining up. The base of the windshield is curved, and you can't see any structure beyond it, so nothing really good to use for alignment. Most people want to bring the center of the windshield in front of them as an alignment aid, and this makes you crooked.

Second is that the seats are slightly canted towards the center line of the airplane. It is not much, but it means your body is not square to the centerline. When you try and square your body to the runway the nose comes off center.

It takes time in the airplane to learn what you need for alignment, and what it takes to get the airplane lined up with the runway.

I always fly from the left seat.  In prior airplanes I was comfortable from either seat.

Yes. Based on a recommendation found on this forum, I set the plane on the taxiway centerline, positioned my seat and myself as I would normally when flying, placed a dot of blue masking tape on the inside of the windshield such that it aligned with the far end of the taxiway, then verified its position while rolling up and down the taxiway.

I use it during the round-out to align the plane with the runway for landing.

Getting people to align the airplane during landing is one of the biggest challenges of teaching. We do have tape in ours, but people still use the cowling as the reference and its a hard habit to break them of. They aren't even aware they are using it.

How can I tell? I will ask them at short final to use rudder to go parallel. If they're using the wrong reference, typically the cowling, the nose will yaw in the wrong direction as we get closer, and if I do roll, it is amplified. Rolling while using the cowl as a reference causes people to pitch and yaw incorrectly in tandems because it gives the illusion of rising and falling.

Try to stabilize your head while landing. If you pitch down, roll your head back with it and try to keep your vision still. If you roll a little, roll your head in the other direction. If you can get your brain to realize the airplane is rotating around you, perhaps that will also help you visualize alignment better.