First CTSW Flight

Jim Meade

On Tuesday, I flew 319CT, FD CTSW, from Iowa City to Stanton Field, MN on a ferry permit. It was out of annual and needed the SBs verified.

It flew very well all the way up, though the day was a bit bouncy. Initially the sky was CAVU, but a ceiling formed and by Rochester was about 1500 feet. Flew a normal pattern at Stanton Field and had an uneventful landing on a nice sod runway.

I assisted with the annual for 1.5 days. It will be finished and the stabilator SB performed and I'll pick it up next week. So far, so good.

Jim, I had to have the stabilator SB done last year on my CTSW. If you have any questions regarding this, let me know. There were some unique complicating factors which delayed completion of the SB. I don't believe that you will run into my situation and your stabilator update should be pretty straight forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Left Stanton on Thursday the 2d but ran into weather and stayed overnight at Waverly, C25, where I made a max cross-wind landing. Definitely met or exceeded by competency level with this plane at this stage of experience. Finally got out at 1930 Friday and flew it home to Iowa City where I had a comparatively quiet 70 degree 8 knot crosswind landing. No question, I'm going to get up and explore the envelope a little and get better acquainted with it's flight characteristics.

It is nice to fly, but it's been so bumpy I haven't been able to develop much skill and finesse.

I was wondering about you jim. Glad to hear you made it home safe. LSAs and wind can be a challenging situation.

we are still planting beans and tiling here or I would have tried to meet up with you.

mark

• 5 months later...

I picked up my new to me CTSW 2 weeks ago in CT and flew with a CFI back home to South Texas. It took 4 days and several unplanned stops for weather, but overall the little plane handled it very well.

The landings were a challenge at first, but I am handling them better.

I really appreciate everyone`s comments here and that is one of the reasons i decided to buy the CTSW instead of something else.

I have read some of Roger`s tips on changing the oil and will put them to use this weekend.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

The dark purple colored coolant is from overseas. If it is over 2 years old change it. If not then just add distilled water to the purple coolant until such time as you change it. Dex Cool can't have anything mixed with it unless it says Dex Cool compatible and even then I usually won't mix them. I usually just use something like Prestone 50/50 when I change coolant. It is green and the extended life is orange.

Hi Gary,

The dark purple colored coolant is from overseas. If it is over 2 years old change it. If not then just add distilled water to the purple coolant until such time as you change it. Dex Cool can't have anything mixed with it unless it says Dex Cool compatible and even then I usually won't mix them. I usually just use something like Prestone 50/50 when I change coolant. It is green and the extended life is orange.

Archived