Safety Alert SA-LTUL-CTSW-04

I have a 2006 CTSW to which the above Safety Alert applies limting VNE to 120knts on A supposed temporary basis. This was implemented on 16 Aug 2010.

It is now 9 months and nothing has been forth coming from Flight Design. Repeated calls to local agent gets a response of "They are Working on It "

I believe that this alert applies to certain category aircraft sold in europe and UK. Is there any member of this forum that is subject to this SA-LTUL-CTSW-04

If so appreciate if you could advise of any information you have on this matter.

Oz (Dave, isn't it?), my stabilator was reinforced last year as mandated by SB-ASTM-CTSW-07. The document you show, SA-LTUL-CTSW-04, relates to the stabilators on the "Ultralight" version of the CTSW that was sold in Europe. This SA indicates that the staibilator on the European UL versions of the CTSW are made from Aramid fiber and not made with the carbon fiber which the U.S. CTSW's are constructed with. If your '06 CTSW is the European Ultralight version and you have a stabilator made from the aramid fiber, then you would be subject to the SA-LTUL-CTSW-04. If you don't have the ultralight version of the CTSW and you have a stabilator which is made from carbon fiber, you may still need to follow SB-ASTM-CTSW-07 and reinforce your stabilator if it hasn't been done. I would think that your agent in Australia could contact Flight Design in Germany and, by providing them with the serial number of your CTSW, could find out which stabilator you have and get something in writing from the company that provides the direction you need to go forward.

Europe_SA_stabilator_LTUL_CTSW-04.pdf

SB-ASTM-CTSW-07.pdf

Yes, thankyou gentlemen, you are both correct, but my problem is that, this is supposed to be a temporary alert.Agent here offers no solution other than " they are working on it" . A 120 vne restriction on my SW does not do much for its resale value. hence my attempt to contact some UK or European owners through this site to find what info they may have! I suppose my only next move is to offend the local agent and contact Flight Design direct. [ who will most likely tell me to contact the Australian agent] The agent here wont tell me but I suspect I have the only one in the country subject to this alert.

Generally I am a gentle man......But!!!! Its like talking to a brick wall and surely nine months is enough time to produce a solution.

David......what is the S/N of your CT? Does it have balancing weights attached to the trim tab & cut-outs?

My CT was imported in 2006 as an LSA category and was prior to the listed S/N range and consequently did not have the above features even though it had the full span trim tab.

Dave

David......what is the S/N of your CT? Does it have balancing weights attached to the trim tab & cut-outs?

My CT was imported in 2006 as an LSA category and was prior to the listed S/N range and consequently did not have the above features even though it had the full span trim tab.

Dave

Dave , My s/n is06-10-18 . It has balance weights attached to the full width trim tab and the reinforcing mod has been done. apparently mine is an "ultra light version with aramid fibre stabiliser and according to Shaun, [just found this out] there are only 4 aircraft in Australia with this issue. Apparently I am the only one complaining. Yours is an LSA by the sounds of it, there for same as the USA models with carbon fibre stabilator. My issue is why cannot a solution be offered after 9 months. Shaun says its in the hands of the german equivalent of CASA.????? What would be obvious [ without knowing all the technical issues ] Is to fit a carbon fibre stabiliser. At the end of the day a progression statement of solving the problem from Flight Design would be agood PR exercise and help me under stand that something is happening, at this point I am not entirely convinced it is.

At the time of purchase I was totally unaware that these significant differences in the airframe were in Australia.

Rdgs David

• 3 months later...

After a lot of email this is the reply of FD

Dear Dimitri Paolacci,

Thank you for your request!

Very sorry for delay with answering, It took some time to update and clarify

information with Technical Director of Flight Design in this case. And I

can assure you, that we are still working on the test. We have done ground

vibration testing, made the recommended changes to the aircraft, flown it

again and did not reach the Vne without another indication of slight

flutter. For this reason it was decided to get the very same aircraft again

back to the vibration testing and as you get tons of data, it takes some