912Is Cold Starts

Bill3558

Is it just me or are these engines cranky to start in old weather?  Last two mornings about 25 degrees. Engine starts but lane lights won’t go out. 
I let it warm up some and shut it down for a restart. Restart and now only one light is on . Let it warm up more and restart again. All good , both lights go out. 
What’s going on here?

30 minutes ago, Bill3558 said:

Is it just me or are these engines cranky to start in old weather?  Last two mornings about 25 degrees. Engine starts but lane lights won’t go out. 
I let it warm up some and shut it down for a restart. Restart and now only one light is on . Let it warm up more and restart again. All good , both lights go out. 
What’s going on here?

Hook up the dangle thingy and the codes should tell you the reason for the lights. I have had probs with the B light on after start but it goes out with a run up. Just the light, the systems were always working. Have not had the problem your describing. The coldest I have started is around 25 deg and no problems occurred.

When temps get that cold an engine pre-heater is best. You can see the difference with and without on the Rotax owner website video.

Plus too many 912iS have the idle rpm set too low. I increase them so they do start easier, but 25F can still be a factor.

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/videos-topmenu/product-reviews/149-tanis

As long as temps are not too cold, you can use a cheap harbor freight heat gun with a high temp SCEET tube on the end.  Stuff it in the bottom cowl opening and let it run 30-45min.  Use a fairly low setting (mine is 4-5 out of 10) to not burn anything -- heat guns can get super HOT.  Lay a blanket over the cowl and wrap around the radiator to keep the heat in.

I have been doing this since 2013 when the temps get down around 40°F and it works very well.  IIRC I got this idea from Tom Baker.