Tear in fire sleeve

Animosity2k

Installing my new landing light tonight I noticed the blow tear in the fire sleeve on what I believe is an oil line. It’s near the exhaust. When I put the bottom cowl back on it looks like it gets really close. What’s the best fix for this. I’m guessing I’ve been flying on it like this for quite some time. 

7DFD7677-8A66-4CEA-9D54-576FB3B0D0FF.jpeg

DAF43869-A2B1-45E9-AF89-06FE81BE3D96.jpeg

A1579714-F806-4907-94DF-4BC697BAB75C.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Another option would be to put a piece of firesleeve around the tear like is on the coolant line on the radiator.

I’m afraid I’d splice a piece over it with the sliced side on the opposite side and tape it down that it will be to thick and touch the exhaust. How can I space that off of it more? Also what all is involved in replacing it. Is it as easy as disconnecting from the black box on the right side of it, sliding it all off, a new one on and then putting it back together? 

16 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Short of replacing it, I would wrap it with silicone rescue tape, then some fiberglass/foil heat tape to protect it from the exhaust.

And what is / where can I find silicone rescue tape? I’m assuming the fiberglass foil tape I can obtain at a hardware store? 

1 hour ago, Anticept said:

He's talking about "self-fusing silicone tape". https://www.rescuetape.com/ is a brand.

Make sure you know how to use it. You have to really stretch it as you wrap it on itself for it to self fuse properly, it won't stick very well if you don't.

Should any AP be familiar w how to fix this? How hard is it to just remove the fitting and take it off the oil hose and put a new sleeve on? Issues w air getting in?

The hose and firesleeve would not be hard to change. The issues are the firesleeve should be end dipped, which takes a while to set up, and the oil system should be pressure purged since it was opened up. Plus not all mechanics will have the required tools to clamp the ends. While any A&P could do it, I would look for a Rotax trained mechanic.

17 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

The hose and firesleeve would not be hard to change. The issues are the firesleeve should be end dipped, which takes a while to set up, and the oil system should be pressure purged since it was opened up. Plus not all mechanics will have the required tools to clamp the ends. While any A&P could do it, I would look for a Rotax trained mechanic.

Only one around id have to fly to and I’m a bit paranoid to do so with that gash 

Please excuse the dirty old hands in the video. :)

This hose that I just did last week is in the same place as the original poster's issue. This hose in the video had a second piece of fire sleeve over it and it burned through both layers. Found a second oil hose burned through on the other side. You need at least a 3/4"+ gap to insure the hot exhaust pipe doesn't burn through. In most cases you can loosen the 90 degree fitting nut and rotate it out just a tad which will move the hose away from the hot pipe. If the hose doesn't have enough length to move it outward that inch then it may need to be replaced with one 1" - 2" longer. The fire sleeve hole from the original poster can be repaired and even rotated 180 degrees away from the hot pipe and be repaired and then the burnt side with the repair would be facing outward.