Fuel Line Replacement

SkyrangerRich

The wings need to come out to replace the fuel sight tubes. Just do the wing inspection and log it and you'll be good for a couple more years. The fuel hose behind the instrument panel is actually fairly easy. The other fuel hoses in the engine compartment are fairly easy too.

Give me a call and I can explain it all and the way to do it.

I have never seen a spring in the fuel supply hose in the wing root on a CTSW. They are less likely to kink, but having the length right is important. To much hose for the space and they will kink. For the LS I have seen both solid tubes and springs for the tight radius 90° bend they have to make. The quality of the hose is also important in regards to kinking. For the sight tubes I have found that the length is critical. I have a table in my shop with a notch caved in it to measure the length for cutting the sight tube. I also pre form around a coil of I made from 1/4" aluminum tube. Whenever I install a set I cut the next set and slide it on my coil. By doing this I have less problems with the sight tube kinking.

Hey folks,

Though we all share an interest in CT aircraft, that encompasses a range of similar yet distinct models. Knowing what model you're asking about would make it easier for the generous and knowledgeable individuals on this forum to help… and it would make it easier for others reading these posts, even those reading them 10 years from now, to know whether the comments apply to their model or not.

We're not always going to remember to include our aircraft model in our posts, but this forum allows us to add a signature line to the bottom of all our posts automatically, so we don't have to remember: click on the down arrow next to your name at the top right of the page, select “Account Settings”, click “Signature” on the bottom of the column on the left, then type your aircraft model into the "Signature" box and press "Save".

Thanks,

9 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

Hey folks,

Though we all share an interest in CT aircraft, that encompasses a range of similar yet distinct models. Knowing what model you're asking about would make it easier for the generous and knowledgeable individuals on this forum to help… and it would make it easier for others reading these posts, even those reading them 10 years from now, to know whether the comments apply to their model or not.

We're not always going to remember to include our aircraft model in our posts, but this forum allows us to add a signature line to the bottom of all our posts automatically, so we don't have to remember: click on the down arrow next to your name at the top right of the page, select “Account Settings”, click “Signature” on the bottom of the column on the left, then type your aircraft model into the "Signature" box and press "Save".

Thanks,

Even having your model is not enough. I remember Andy and Ed describing how to do landings in the CTSW. One was trimming full nose up, and the other wasn't trimming. The issue one had springs in the trim system, and the other did not. I remember when I picked up my first customer airplane in Tulsa. The Toms were telling me about how they would call the factory about an issue or request on the airplane, and the next batch of airplanes would incorporate the changes. While they all have similarities, they are all basically hand made and different.

1 minute ago, Tom Baker said:

Even having your model is not enough. I remember Andy and Ed describing how to do landings in the CTSW. One was trimming full nose up, and the other wasn't trimming. The issue one had springs in the trim system, and the other did not.

That was totally true!  We went around quite a bit before we figured out the difference between our airplanes.  I have since removed the extra pitch spring on my airplane and it requires *far* less trim movement when changing speed & configuration.