Insurance costs

procharger

Mine was 1400 for 75000. A lot of people are having an issue with this, I think it's just an excuse to get more money. It's a tight market now so shop around. If I can't get hull insurance in the future, I won't. I also have a very modified j3 cub, it runs a little less for the same $. If I mess it up I can repair anything on it myself, anything.

I heard a rumor that starting in 2025 the insurance industry will no longer cover pilots over age 70.  I don't know if it's true or not, but I did hear if from somebody not prone to flights of fancy who swore he heard it from an aviation insurance broker.  I asked him is that was just hull or liability also, and he said he doesn't know.

If true they will probably try to drive 70+ pilots out with costs first, before outright refusing to cover.  It would even further accelerate the demise of GA.   Again, rumor only, worth exactly what you paid for the information.   :)

11 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Mine renewed 3 months back, $1823 on $65k, but I pay a couple hundred more than normal being on a shorter grass strip.  Avinsure Agency with AIG being the policy writer.  And likewise that was a few hundred more than last year.

I am considering getting the hell out of Illinois , buying some property with 10-20 acres in Arkansas or Tennessee … yeah, it will be more expensive to insure on my own runway but the hell with it … not getting any younger and can’t take any money with me to the other side when the time comes anyway …

I wonder how much location has to do with it. Everything seems more expensive in California. Even though I’m over a huge, flat, farm area, I’m only about 45 miles to the Sierra Mountains to my east and 45 miles to the coastal range on the west. Can’t travel very far east or west without dealing with mountains.

12 hours ago, Skunkworks85 said:

Who are you guys using? Just paid my bill, $1600 on 65k hull, I'm 35. ≈600 total time Broker is Aviation Insurance resources, and have Brown and associates. or something like that

Call Chris Wolbert, broker at Aviation Insurance Resources. 

But it could be location related...different areas have different insurance rates & risks.

I found early on with light sport stuff that insurance premiums varied greatly with region. This is because you have different underwriters covering different areas. The areas were not divided on where the airplanes were based, but rather where the agent or broker who was handling your insurance was based. For one of the companies the underwriter in the Southwest gave better rates than the one from out East. People were contacting a broker in the west for insurance quotes, and getting much better rates than those who used someone local in the East. At least this was mu observation back then.

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

I found early on with light sport stuff that insurance premiums varied greatly with region. This is because you have different underwriters covering different areas. The areas were not divided on where the airplanes were based, but rather where the agent or broker who was handling your insurance was based. For one of the companies the underwriter in the Southwest gave better rates than the one from out East. People were contacting a broker in the west for insurance quotes, and getting much better rates than those who used someone local in the East. At least this was mu observation back then.

Good to know. I think I’ll try elsewhere next year and see if I get a better rate.  A 20% increase in one year seems a little high. But it is California, and my electric bill went up 120% in 2 years!

• 4 months later...
On 6/2/2023 at 12:12 PM, tevbax said:

Moved from Travers (US General) to AVEMCO and saved about $500. Currently @ 2100 for 3 pilots, 1 CFI. 

One thing to note about Avemco, they tend to be cheaper because they have more sublimits than other insurers, lowering their exposure.

Like most things, it depends on what you have.  

Hull is pretty straightforward.  Mine hull value is $120,000.

On liability, there's a huge difference if you have sublimits.  In a one passenger plane, your liability is generally your sublimit unless you cause damage on the ground.  If you have a $1 million liability, with $100,000 sublimit, should you have a fatal or injury accident, your liability coverage to the passenger is only $100,000.  FWIW, I carry $2 million "smooth," which means no sublimits.  Should the wrong thing happen with the wrong passenger, that's not especially high coverage.

My cost was $3,900 last year, and is $4,100 this year.

Andy

Nasty little surprise.  My yearly quote jumped over 18% from $1521 last year to $1789 this year.  Not horrendous, but not a good trend.  I questioned my broker about it and this was his response:

We continue to see overall increases on the LSA’s.    The traditional C172/PA28 premium have leveled off for the most part.

We did put this out to bid and received the following quotes (besides the one that was sent to you):

AIG - $3630

Global - $1931

ORA- $2430

Starr - $4148

IAT - $2579

So I guess maybe I shouldn't complain given those other quotes...  😬

FYI, this is for me at 56 years old, 935hrs in type and 1050hrs total, with me as a named pilot and any other pilot covered if they have 5hrs in type and 300hrs total, $1M/$100k limits, and $85k hull.