Instructions for non-pilot activating BRS.

Big Flapper

Hi all, I have a non - pilot wife who flies with me and I am looking for a publication/instruction list for her if I ever became incapacitated  on using and deploying the BRS.

I hope to get her to take instruction on emergency landings but I have to take things one step at a time. I would think since FD is installing these in all planes that they would have some type of instruction manual for this situation.

Thanks for any suggestions

Tom

My version is much simpler … something like … if pilot seems incapacitated :

- press Straight & Level ( autopilot on , keeping the plane flying until it runs out of fuel )

- if it seems like pilot won’t respond , wait for an open spot below, pull the power to idle and pull the BRS  handle.

• 2 months later...

Hey these are a great idea. There were a few things I neglected to tell my passenger in use such as fly AC until over open/flat spot below (I fly in the mountains here.. not good to land on the edge of a cliff or over a lake I'm thinking )

On 1/16/2023 at 12:38 PM, Skunkworks85 said:

I cant find my checklist, but this is what i have on it. 

It was stollen from someone else. But i brief any new passengers on it. Also show them where it is located. Additionally, My personal checklist in AC has instructions on how to tune 121.5 and squawk 7700. ( 2 buttons to press in my AC)

image.thumb.png.d5f6255b8e65b081939c90e9707b8a2b.png

Hmm, asking a non-pilot to correctly follow a checklist in a crisis might be a bit…optimistic.

I brief my passengers that if I’m INOP, close the fuel valve and pull the big red handle.  I tell them if they think they can guide the airplane away from heavily populated areas fine, otherwise let gravity make the choice of landing zone.

Honestly if it comes up, I expect they will forget everything else and pull the red handle.