E-Prop Spinner Paint

My condition inspection is coming up and my neuform has to come off for gearbox inspection this year. I am sold on the e-prop, but have yet to pull the trigger. One item i don't like about it is the spinner staying the natural carbon fiber, In the long run, i would want it painted, I did reach out to e-props and there response was the following,

"Today the E-PROPS spinners V20 range are carbon finish, shiny polished, without paint, varnish or gel-coat.
We are currently finishing the fittings for our new factory. There will soon be a well-equipped paint booth, but not before 4 to 5 months.
You can paint the spinner if you want. All you have to do is to sand the surface, very lightly (600 grain sandpaper).
The recommended paint is a bi-component polyurethane. A well sanded primer is necessary for a beautiful finish.
Just paint lightly and evenly to keep the balancing."

It does sound like they will have painting capability at some point.

My question to the forum is has anyone painted theirs?

Here are pictures from the website, I personally think the plane looks silly with a "black" spinner.

image.png.0fcbf020632f8409d0327f09bc292cf4.png 

AC 43.13-1B 9/8/98
Page 8-42 Par 8-109
f. The propeller spinner can be a contributing
factor to an out-of-balance condition.
An indication of this would be a noticeable
spinner “wobble” while the engine is running.
This condition is normally caused by inadequate
shimming of the spinner front support or
a cracked

4-36.Page 4-9

b. Painting and Refinishing. Special
emphasis is directed to the effect of too many
extra coats of paint on balanced control surfaces.
Mechanics must avoid adding additional
coats of paint in excess of what the
manufacturer originally applied. If available
consult the aircraft manufacturer’s instructions
relative to finishing and balance of control
surfaces.

Also SECTION 6. PROPELLER TRACKING AND VIBRATION

One has of course done a new W&B after the prop was installed but another would technically be needed after adding paint to the spinner, if only a notation of minimal change.

SLSA would need to get an OK from FD to paint the spinner, I'd think.

11 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

AC 43.13-1B 9/8/98
Page 8-42 Par 8-109
f. The propeller spinner can be a contributing
factor to an out-of-balance condition.
An indication of this would be a noticeable
spinner “wobble” while the engine is running.
This condition is normally caused by inadequate
shimming of the spinner front support or
a cracked

4-36.Page 4-9

b. Painting and Refinishing. Special
emphasis is directed to the effect of too many
extra coats of paint on balanced control surfaces.
Mechanics must avoid adding additional
coats of paint in excess of what the
manufacturer originally applied. If available
consult the aircraft manufacturer’s instructions
relative to finishing and balance of control
surfaces.

Also SECTION 6. PROPELLER TRACKING AND VIBRATION

One has of course done a new W&B after the prop was installed but another would technically be needed after adding paint to the spinner, if only a notation of minimal change.

SLSA would need to get an OK from FD to paint the spinner, I'd think.

Talk about getting into the weeds, sorry but this is nuts.

I can coat an entire spinner in just a couple ounces of paint with a proper HVLP paint gun.

When this topic first popped up I was thinking about that issue of balance, but it's such a tiny amount of paint and you're applying it to the entire circumference that I ended up not bringing it up.

When it comes to our flight designs, the paint weight is probably insignificant compared to the coat of body glazing putty used to smooth the skin, and due to the way the spinner is made, it won't need finishing glaze.

6 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

The issue is legality if you have an SLSA.  I personally know a man who had his Cherokee 6 grounded because he painted the prop.

It is normal to paint a certified prop, and recommended especially on the back of the blades. The problem is where and how the paint is applied. I suppose you could say you have to know what you are doing, and obviously this guy didn't. 

Prop painting is called out as something that needs equipment to test the props balance in standard aircraft. Said paint is used in the factory as part of the balancing procedure. The stripes on some props are a favorite place to add a couple extra coats for said balance.

But yes painting without the proper rating is a no-no if it isn't just a little touching up.

1 hour ago, Anticept said:

Prop painting is called out as something that needs equipment to test the props balance in standard aircraft. Said paint is used in the factory as part of the balancing procedure. The stripes on some props are a favorite place to add a couple extra coats for said balance.

But yes painting without the proper rating is a no-no if it isn't just a little touching up.

We repaint props all the time for as long as I have been an A&P (50 yrs), in repair stations and not. You just have to know what you're doing. This is standard practice. An unpainted prop on the coast will corrode and becomes a much bigger issue. You don't use paint to balance a prop, it would take a huge amount and then come off over time. Cured paint weight is negligible unless you try to flood it.

Not saying an A&P can't paint them. But check the balance.

Regarding paint not being used for balance: that's not what the hartzell engineers told me when I visited their manufacturing facility. Though I don't think this is much of a practice anymore, paint was used in the balancing process.

It is not *exclusive* to the balancing process, let me be clear on that. But it was a way to clear up extremely minor imbalances.

8 minutes ago, Anticept said:

Not saying an A&P can't paint them. But check the balance.

Regarding paint not being used for balance: that's not what the hartzell engineers told me when I visited their manufacturing facility. Though I don't think this is much of a practice anymore, paint was used in the balancing process.

It is not *exclusive* to the balancing process, let me be clear on that. But it was a way to clear up extremely minor imbalances.

Maybe for wood props, but paint is negligible on metal props the way we do it. No one I know ever balances a metal prop, it's sent to a certified prop shop, usually for overhaul or damage. Balance is done by weights on spinner plates dynamically. It is not legal to balance a metal prop using paint, it requires much more than that. And a wood prop can be balanced but not many people know how to do it, mostly old A&P's and only a few at that. Anyway this subject has been pretty much beaten to death at this point.