Painting firewall

procharger

From his post in the For Sale section it appears that he may have two airplanes, a CTSW and CTLS. The CTSW's either had no firewall protection from the factory, or the firewall blanket. The Early CTLS's had a firewall blanket, and soon switched to the firewall fire protection paint. When Flight Design introduced the blankets they offered a $1000.00 incentive to install the blankets. I have heard that cleaning the glue off from the blanket installation to paint the firewall is a pain in the behind.

When I was exploring the ability reduce cabin noise I installed Ceramic 2000 blanket over part of the existing firewall blanket. It's a very substantial product but difficult to apply easily. The stainless sheet attached to it is like handling knives but fire protection is substantial. If I had no firewall blanket I would probably use the one recommended by FD.

Flight Design no longer has the firewall blankets, and now says to use the paint. I did this with a CTSW that had not had the firewall blanket installed when they were available. The paint is a pain in the ass to apply, and will take two to three days and three applications to get enough thickness.

That CTSW had a lot of other issues that had been neglected over its life. I don't think the owner or the mechanic who had been working on the airplane had any clue.

48 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Flight Design no longer has the firewall blankets, and now says to use the paint. I did this with a CTSW that had not had the firewall blanket installed when they were available. The paint is a pain in the ass to apply, and will take two to three days and three applications to get enough thickness.

That CTSW had a lot of other issues that had been neglected over its life. I don't think the owner or the mechanic who had been working on the airplane had any clue.

I think Roger has some blankets 

This is the Ceramic 2000 available at spruce. It's a lot thicker than the FD blanket so you have to make some accommodations for it.

20230215_132934.jpg